Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 electriclott

electriclott

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

I have a dell laptop that I am getting ready to install W-7 on. When I was researching My pc to see if it was 7 ready I came across several hidden partitions on my hard drive. I have a total of 4 partitions on this 300 Gig hard drive. Of course I have c: drive with my OS and files on it...then i have the Dell restore partition in fat 32 format at 10 gigs....I then have a partition called ' MEDIADIRECT' It is 2.5 gigs also in fat 32 format. It is highlighted as a Logical Drive in the computer management window. Does anyone know what that partition might be?? I also then have a small partition at 78 megabytes formatted in fat , it says ' EISA configuration '. I am wondering if i can delete all these partitions when I do my clean install of windows 7. Although I may leave the recovery partition for now just in case, I would love to know what these other partitions are, and If I will need them. I have 3 other computers in the house ...2 of them are also Dell... but they have no hidden partitions on them....Although ..they are Desktops...and the one I'm looking at upgrading is a laptop...maybe that has something to do with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 urbanninja

urbanninja

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

"The EISA partition is a Utility Partition and is not required for normal operation of the System. The partition is there so that the Diagnostics & EISA Configuration can be run without using a boot Disk." (source)

MediaDirect is a program that will enable you to access media without having to boot your OS.

Personally, I'd get rid of them because they would be of no use to me and neither are required, but that's up to you

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

Mediadirect enabled the computer to start up, without going into windows, when a DVD/BluRay was inserted. It essentially turned the computer into a media player without going through the time to boot into Windows. I have deleted it before (inadvertently). Dell has it for download on their site.

EISA I have never deleted before. I think it contains some sort of diag utilities. It can be removed though http://kb.norsetech.net/how-to-delete-eisa-partition/

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users