Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System initialization has failed message?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 urbanninja

urbanninja

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:32 PM

Whenever I turn my laptop off for more than a few seconds, if it is not plugged into a wall outlet, I get this message when booting up:

Posted Image

The mouse and keyboard is unresponsive, so I turn it off with the power button, immediately turn it back on, it boots normally, I set the date and time again, and it's good to go. But it does this every time it is unplugged and turned off which is starting to get annoying.

I researched the matter and found that a dead of faulty CMOS battery was often the problem. So, I located mine and replaced it (CR2032 I think). It didn't fix the problem. I figured I may have gotten a used battery from Radioshack somehow, so I got the brand new battery out of my grandmother's blood checking(?) thing, but no luck.

So I thought it could be something loose right around where the CR2032 wires connect to the mobo, but everything looks fine. Nothing appears to be missing or disconnected. I went ahead and unplugged the red/black wires from the mobo and re-inserted them just in case. Still nothing.

Any thoughts on how I could find the culprit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

<<so I got the brand new battery out of my grandmother's blood checking(?) thing,>>

LOL...that made me laugh since I employ a glucometer (diabetic, mild) and that's exactly what I do if I want to test a CMOS battery in a system :thumbsup:.

Unfortunately, I can't help you since I know nothing at all about laptops and the things that can go wrong with them.

Is this a Vista system?

Did you correctly reset the time and date (in the BIOS)...and then save the changes by hitting F10 in the BIOS?

Louis

#3 urbanninja

urbanninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

It used to have xp then I did a clean install with windows 7 home premium x86. This problem occurred with both OS and sometimes I set the time in the BIOS and sometimes I set it after I log in. I know that it isn't a problem with any software. Is there any other hardware components that could cause this problem?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

The need to reset time/date...indicate a CMOS battery problem, IMO.

I suppose I could escalate my thinking to BIOS, CPU, PSU, etc...but I tend to try the simple stuff first.

One of the other viewers/members here may have a clue, I do not :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

How old is the laptop?

Can you make sure the middle battery contact (looks like a lever) is not corroded.

Are you putting the battery in correctly? (This is often a problem when the battery is replaced, which side is up or down?)

Is the battery's side making contact with the + (positive) contacts? (check there for corrosion too.)

Does this problem happen ALL the time or just once in a while?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 urbanninja

urbanninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:08 AM

How old is the laptop?
It's a 2006 model. The Westinghouse NB-14W2.

Can you make sure the middle battery contact (looks like a lever) is not corroded.
Mine isn't set up that way. It has a little white plug that plugs into the mobo, from the plug, there is a red and a black wire, at the end of each wire is a metal "tab." Originally, these were connected to the negative side of the CR2032 battery (the side that isn't perfectly flat and doesn't have the + [positive] sign).

Are you putting the battery in correctly? (This is often a problem when the battery is replaced, which side is up or down?)
When I first replaced the battery, I put the metal contacts/tabs on the - side of the battery (as it was on the dead battery). I have also tried the positive side.

Is the battery's side making contact with the + (positive) contacts? (check there for corrosion too.)
Both metal tabs are making contact with the battery. They are not corroded, and I secure them to the battery with electrical tape. (I'll post some pics)

It started happening Summer of last year and it does happen every single time it is off for ~2 or more minutes, that is if it is not plugged into the wall.

----------------------------------------- ------------------------ ------ -------------------- ------- - -------- --- --- - -- -- -

edit: here are some pics I took of it

Edited by urbanninja, 16 February 2010 - 01:42 AM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:51 AM

How old is the laptop?

Mine isn't set up that way. It has a little white plug that plugs into the mobo, from the plug, there is a red and a black wire, at the end of each wire is a metal "tab." Originally, these were connected to the negative side of the CR2032 battery (the side that isn't perfectly flat and doesn't have the + [positive] sign).

When I first replaced the battery, I put the metal contacts/tabs on the - side of the battery (as it was on the dead battery). I have also tried the positive side.

Both metal tabs are making contact with the battery. They are not corroded, and I secure them to the battery with electrical tape. (I'll post some pics)

It started happening Summer of last year and it does happen every single time it is off for ~2 or more minutes, that is if it is not plugged into the wall.

OK I am confused here by several answers you gave me above.

In your second answer to me (above) you stated "Both red and black wires were connected to the - (negative side of battery).

You stated again saying both clips on wires were connected to same (-) Negative side of battery.

Thats what your problem is, if you typed it correctly and I am understanding you correctly.

You have the battery wired wrong. You're putting both wires on the same contact of battery. Follow my instructions below as to where to put each clip on the battery.

The clip on the BLACK wire goes to the (-) negative unflat (copper) side of battery.

The clip on the RED wire goes to the flat (silver) side of battery where the (+) symble and battery lettering is.

Now the battery will keep BIOS CMOS memory alive with out power being on.

Your settings and time/date should now be saved, when the computer is powered off.

Please let me know if this resolves your problem, or if you have any ferther questions.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 February 2010 - 02:00 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 urbanninja

urbanninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:56 AM

How old is the laptop?

OK I am confused here by several answers you gave me above.

In your second answer to me (above) you stated "Both red and black wires were connected to the - (negative side of battery).

You stated again saying both clips on wires were connected to same (-) Negative side of battery.

That's what your problem is, if you typed it correctly and I am understanding you correctly.

You have the battery wired wrong. You're putting both wires on the same contact of battery. Follow my instructions below as to where to put each clip on the battery.

The clip on the BLACK wire goes to the (-) negative unflat (copper) side of battery.

The clip on the RED wire goes to the flat (silver) side of battery where the (+) symble and battery lettering is.

Now the battery will keep BIOS CMOS memory alive with out power being on.

Your settings and time/date should now be saved, when the computer is powered off.

Please let me know if this resolves your problem, or if you have any further questions.

honestly, that does make since. I just haven't tried it because on the original battery, both clips/tabs/contacts were soldered onto the negative side. But I'm gonna try it anyways so I'll post the results in a bit.

edit: As I was switching the contacts, I remembered that I had tried that before. Still, I went ahead and switched them but as I had anticipated, the problem still persists.

Edited by urbanninja, 16 February 2010 - 03:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users