Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open any programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sparkovich

sparkovich

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

Hey all...

Yesterday I somehow got infected with the xp Internet Security malware, and I finally got rid of it by opening up another user and using Malwarebyte's software. Now I have the issue when I go back into my regular user, I can't open any of my programs, control panels, system restore, etc. When I try to open a program, i.e. internet explorer, I get the dialog box "Select which program to use." When I try to open a control panel or system restore, it just comes up with a "Can not find file" dialog box. Any Idea's how to get everything back to the way it was?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sparkovich

sparkovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

One thing that I forgot to mention is that when I go back into my guest account, I can open everything up, without any problems.

#3 sarunk

sarunk

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:05 AM

In that case try booting the computer in safe mode with administrator account.
Create a new user account and restart the computer. Try to log in new user account. If every thing works file transfer the data to the new user account not all the settings. Probably the user profile might be corrupted.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:08 AM

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#5 sparkovich

sparkovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for the input. One last thing... any idea how to transfer my outlook 2007 emails? Those are the one thing that I really can't afford to lose.

Thanks Again!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

Aren't those in a .pst file?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp...aa94940edcea411

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users