Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how big does a hard drive image end up?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

i don't know where else this could go...

you know those hard drive images like with norton ghost and stuff? how big are those compared to the size of data on your hard drive?

i have a 320 GB hard drive that is formatted to a 285 GB main partition with 170 GB full (and a 13 GB recovery partition)

how big do you think the hard drive image will be? i assume it compresses...

ps. mods you can move this to the appropriate forum if necessary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

Compression possibilities...vary according to whatever program is used to do the backups.

You would have tor review the specifics for whatever backup program used...to make/do the backup.

Generally, with my 2001-02 version of Drive Image...I used a 50% compression ratio at times. After I developed an excess number of hard drives on hand, I stopped using compression at all.

With Windows 7, I won't back up...I'll just make clones of the boot partition.

Bear in mind that 50% compression...does not equate to a backup which is 50% of the original partition necessarily. If files are already compressed, they won't get compressed any further necessarily.

Louis

#3 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

i actually was looking to only image the boot partition of my windows vista home premium install because i might need to to get any warranty information done in the future

is there a way i can do that? only image the install/boot files?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

I don't know what you mean...what would be the point of imaging only boot files?

To restore the operating system...you need to image/copy/backup the boot/system partition.

Louis

#5 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

i meant what YOU had said...

in ur second reply you said

With Windows 7, I won't back up...I'll just make clones of the boot partition.

how could i do that with windows vista? i don't know if that's what i'm asking you about though... i would rather just image the boot data (by which i mean the stuff without all the 200 GB of data i have)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

The boot partition...is C:.

On each of my two systems, I have made C: 20-25GB, no larger.

Soooo...when I backup, I only have a 25GB partition to back up.

If your C: partition is 200GB, I would suggest that you reduce the size....create at least one other partition...and move all data files from C:.

Or obtain an additional hard drive, create a data partition on it...and move your data files from C:. You can then downsize C: to the point where it is very easy to backup or clone.

Or...alternatively...clone your entire 200GB partition/drive...to another hard drive as a backup.

If you can take a picture of the Disk Management screen and attach it to your next post...it will save a lot of time and we can figure out what might be best for you.

Louis

My apologies...I see that you state that you have 1 hard drive, with a recovery partition of 13GB and one boot/system partition of 285GB. I don't know how to handle the recovery partition but I suspect that you need to consider that in your backup strategy, since the files on there may be required to restore your system in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#7 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:41 PM

well i wouldnt be backing up my recovery partition (that came preinstalled on the OS), i just need to back up the C: partition that has the vista boot stuff on it, and i just want to clarify: there is no way to just back up the vista boot information and omit the regular data (movies, music etc) is there?

i don't know if i want to go through making a new partition for only data (although i have thought about it before) because I might have to reconfigure stuff to open on the E: Data drive rather than just from the C: drive?

i know a bit about computers but i've never needed to take a HD image before so i'm just trying to make it as easy as possiblePosted Image

Edited by simpsonman3000, 11 February 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

Understood :thumbsup:.

The reason that I mention including your recovery partition...is that I'm not sure that your system will work properly without it.

It's your decision.

<<...so i'm just trying to make it as easy as possible.>>

To my way of thinking...cloning the entire drive is the easiest solution.

<<...there is no way to just back up the vista boot information and omit the regular data (movies, music etc) is there?>>

As I said...it depends on how whatever program you use to backup...works. I (nor anyone else) has tried every backup program that exists, so I can't say how each one works.

If you tell us what program you intend to use for backing up...then you can get a definitive answer for that program.

The programs that I am most familiar with...are designed to backup entire partitions, not files.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users