Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer halts at startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:03 AM

Hi, whenever I start this computer, there is an error report message showing about about Dr. Watson program or something. Then it seems as if the computer freezes, but when I move the mouse to the taskbar the sand timer shows up to show me that something is loading.

So I pushed alt+del+ctrl and looked at the tasks and 2% of the CPU was being used. So I know some program is stopping it. So I end tasked drwtsn32.exe and everything worked fine now, but when I restart the computer again, it does the same thing over again, please help with this drwtsn32.exe problem!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:27 AM

Dr. Watson is a program error debugger.

The information obtained and logged by Dr. Watson is the information needed by technical support groups to diagnose a program error for a computer running Windows.

A text file (Drwtsn32.log) is created whenever an error is detected, and can be delivered to support personnel by whatever method they prefer. You also have the option of creating a crash dump file, which is a binary file that a programmer can load into a debugger.

If a program error occurs, Dr. Watson will start automatically. To start Dr. Watson, click Start, click Run, and then type drwtsn32. To start Dr. Watson from a command prompt, change to the root directory, and then type drwtsn32.

What you are doing is shutting this Windows process off when you ended the task.

#3 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:38 AM

I know it's an error debugger, but it has an error itself.

This is what the window pops up and says,

"DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

You can send the error report or not send it. The computer's start button, icons, right clicking does not work when this shows up. Only alt+del+ctrl works. I know Dr. Watson is freezing the computer because when I press alt+del+ctrl and end task of drwtsn32.exe the computer works fine again.

Edited by Paracitefluke, 02 September 2005 - 11:40 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:47 PM

Have you recently installed any new programs?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Paracitefluke

Paracitefluke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

Nope. Just happened on this Monday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users