Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Evony Online

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

I was wondering if Anyone know anything about that online web based game Evony Online. I assume most of you know of it as they have made the job of posting flash ads on lots of frequented sites. Anyways, it looks to me as a Browser based RTS with RISK-like aspects. I have heard and pretty much assumed (with it having massive amounts of spam ads) that it was just another scam and malware infected site. On the other hand, my I.T. professor plays the game and also works for the local sheriffs dept. managing the servers. I would like to assume someone with his background wouldn't do something so foolish but then again we are all human and make mistakes. If any of you have info about this it would be great if you'd fill me in, if it is indeed a malware trap I would like to inform my professor so he will be able to check his system's security.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

From what information I'm getting, the game itself is more than likely safe. It's any ads that is hosted on the site (or something along those lines) that are sort of a problem.

A game is one thing, the ads that they host is another. Your professor may be in the safe, but you might want to show your concern about it to him just in case. He may already know about the ads having possibilities of malware scamming, but that would be because some people are foolish enough to click on those ads. That or else there are certain drive-by ads that can cause an infection. I'm taking a bet on the latter.

....well, now that I look at an image of it, the game itself is safe. A buddy of mine in college is also playing this game (along with a few other people). They aren't showing any signs of infections as far as I know about it.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

From what information I'm getting, the game itself is more than likely safe. It's any ads that is hosted on the site (or something along those lines) that are sort of a problem.

A game is one thing, the ads that they host is another. Your professor may be in the safe, but you might want to show your concern about it to him just in case. He may already know about the ads having possibilities of malware scamming, but that would be because some people are foolish enough to click on those ads. That or else there are certain drive-by ads that can cause an infection. I'm taking a bet on the latter.

....well, now that I look at an image of it, the game itself is safe. A buddy of mine in college is also playing this game (along with a few other people). They aren't showing any signs of infections as far as I know about it.

Sounds like a good sign, and yes I would assume he knows about the malware in the ads, he teaches A+ classes for software and hardware. But anyways, Thanks again :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users