Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lowering CPU Usage lowers performance?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 peel

peel

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hi. So basically Im running this program for a game and it uses a LOT of the CPU Usage. On the forums, there was a thread that recommended using a program that would lower your CPU usage for the program. I was just wondering if this would lower the performance of the program if I did so, because unlike the person below, my program is already laggyand just barely able to run, while he had 3 of these programs running at the same time with no problem BEFORE he used this.
Here's the guy below's recommendation. He said after he lowered the CPU Usage, there was still no problem with performance.

Quote:
BES is a small tool which limits the CPU usage for a specified process: for instance, you can limit the CPU usage of a process which would use CPU 100%, down to 50% (or any percentage you like). With this, you can use other programs comfortably while doing something CPU-intensive in the background. By limiting the CPU load, you can also cool down your CPU immediately when it happens to get too hot. Of course the processing speed will slow down proportionally if you limit the CPU usage, but it should be much better than crashing because of heat or (in the worst scenario) having your computer broken with a burned CPU.
Download link: http://mion.faireal.net/BES/#download

Note: This tool has been tested by me on windows server 2008, x64. And also Windows Ultimate x86. Working fine!

Tutorial:

1. Download and extract the program, it does not need any installation!
2. Run BES.exe, when it loads, select "Target" in the top right of the window
3. Highlight "java.exe <version | bots | blah blah>"
4. Select "Limit this" in the top right of your window
5. When prompted select "Yes"
6. Repeat steps 2-5 for each client you want to limit
7. Once all clients are selected, on the main program window below Target, select "Control"
8. Set the sliders by the amount you want to limit the clients by. This is the amount they will be throttled by, not the amount of max cpu they may use. I set it to 50% running 3 bots, I haven't noticed any difference in performance of the client, but there was a slight increase in RAM use (3.05GB to 3.35GB / 6GB).

Also used on my laptop, finally the fan is quiet!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users