Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not log into Windows XP accounts due to Internet Security 2010 Malware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattmullin

mattmullin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hi,

I was targeted by the internet security 2010 malware virus yesterday. I immediately recognised it as a threat and ran my spybot search and destroy program to try and eradicate it. I also ran an AVG serch of the system. HOwever all that this seems to have done, is to make it impossble to log in to any profile as when u log in, its logs straight back out again.

I have read a lot of forums today and realise that this is a fairly common symptom of this virus but i can not get round it. I did reboot in safe mode earlier today and ran another virus search using AVG in safe mode, but this has had little effect. Indeed i can now no longer start up in any sort of safe mode as the same cycle of login/ log out happens with those as well.

While in safe mode i had a look around various folders to try and see any suspect folders, and found one that had the same name as one prescribed on one of the forums i read; the folder was called smss32.exe. I tried to delete this file but was prohibbited from doin so as i think it said that i did not have access.

I have read in some of the forums about making a Bart preinstalled environment CD in order to get passed the login problem, but i have hit a snag with this as well and can not burn the cd using my uninfected laptop.

I am new to this site and my knowledge of the detailed working of computers is limited and so apologise if the information seems incomplete, but would be very greatful if you could assist with this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

Hello and welcome... I am moving this to the Am I Infected forum from XP..
As this infection deletes a core executable of Malwarebytes' we will need to download a new copy of it and put it in the C:\ tc... so please follow our Removal Guide here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010

You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions for Internet Security 2010 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

After you completed that post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mattmullin

mattmullin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hi

How can i run these programs when i cant get logged into windows, As i stated in my previous post, i can no longer get past the login screen of windows. when i select a profile to login to windows with, it begins to load my settings but after a few seconds changes to saving settings and logs back out to the login screen, without ever accessing the desktop.

Im sorry if i have missed something in your previous post that dealt with this, but i have read it and can not seem to see advice as to how i can get round this login problem.

Matt

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

Hello, Believe missed the loop/
Try

Fixing Logon - Logoff loop with Windows XP install CD and Recovery Console
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users