Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

huge windows folder

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sri66

sri66

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hi all, I am a novice at this but try to get info from the net and work out solutions. Pls help

My OS is windows XP SP3
The windows folder is now 23 GB and progressively growing. I used the Disk clean utility, uninstalled many programs etc. but of no avail.
I then read a post that the Installer folder usually gets inflated everytime a security update or any programs fail to install or uninstall. Sure enough the installer folder was 19.9 GB. The fix for this was a Windows Installer cleanup utility that I downloaded from the Microsoft site. But it did not help much brought it to 18.9 GB.

Yes I recall that since some time now many the service packs did not install due to installation failure - error could not be installed.

Now the Microsoft office 2003 shortcuts don't work and I don;t know how to fix them

the hard drive is partitioned and windows and other programs are on C: drive while all my documents are on E drive. HDD capacity 160 GB about 30 gb per partition

Now pls help me with
1) how do I reduce the size of the windows folder
2) How do I fix the M.Office icons/shortcuts

Or
Should I simple reinstall Win xp ? - if so how?

many thanks

Chari

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

First...your Windows folder should never approach 23GB...that's the size of my entire C:. My Windows folder is 2.7GB.

You need to take a look at the contents because something is very wrong.

One tool for such is TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/, there are others.

Louis

Edit the tool suggested by Broni is better, IMO, for the average user. Fast, simple.

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2010 - 07:03 PM.

#3 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:15 PM

Just to back up what Hamluis said my windows folder is 4gb and i install all updates

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

Download, and install Disk Space Reporter: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...-Reporter.shtml
See, what takes space in Windows folder.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 sri66

sri66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

hi thanks guys,

I did a search and found that windows\installer folder was 19.9 GB large....! I read about this online - its is a folder that keeps all the install and uninstall programs and can get filled up if they don't install/uninstall properly.
In my case it was the microsoft updates would not install.
I checked online and found a windows installer clean up from microsoft website. I ran it but it only removed about 1 gb so now the installer folder is still 18.9 gb also after his I couldn't use M office like word, excel, and also search for files/folders program does not work ...coz something happened to the shortcuts and I can't fix that. I tried a few suggestions but I couldn't implement it coz I can't find repair link in the HELP menu.

I don;t know if I should format and reinstall windows xp? or can I still fix this with your help....

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:05 AM

After reading this thread I checked mine which just states it is larger than 950MB.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

I did a search and found that windows\installer folder was 19.9 GB large

Did you check for some big files inside the above folder?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

What would be the downside of just deleting those files?

One could also just compress the files to save some space.

Will the programs that the shortcuts don't work for open if you go to their folders and just double click on the .exe files for them?

If you can open them that way, just make new shortcuts for them

Edited by Stang777, 13 February 2010 - 03:48 PM.

#9 Guest_arkona666_*

Guest_arkona666_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

that happened to me when i had a rootkit my returnil folder was 5 gb to start than went to 50 so i just reformated my pc

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

Sounds like duplicate MSI installation type folders in the installer folder.

Using Explorer, browse to c:\windows\installer and hover the moose over each .msi and you can see what they are. How many files in that folder?

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package and install it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I know - it says Office, but you are only going to use part of it.

You can run the utility to see what it thinks about your current situation. You don't have to remove anything.

After installing the cleanup utility, open a command prompt (Start, Run, cmd) and navigate to the installation folder which is usually:

c:\program files\windows installer clean up

Locate the msizap.exe and run it with a /? to see the help. You have to run it from a command prompt.

There is a readme.txt file in there too.

You want to run:

msizap G

or

msizap G!

The G means to remove orphaned cached Windows installer data files (all those leftover .msi files)

That will zap the orphaned msi installation files generated by faulty installations, lots of Office installations, reinstallations, etc. You can read about it.

Now what is the size of the Installer folder and how many files are in it?

Uninstall the utility if you are not interested in looking at it.

Edited by joseibarra, 13 February 2010 - 06:12 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:16 AM

Hi Jose, that sounds like the same program the op already used.

I checked online and found a windows installer clean up from microsoft website. I ran it but it only removed about 1 gb so now the installer folder is still 18.9 gb

#12 sri66

sri66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:00 AM

HI
I checked the folder and there are

76 files 117166 KB
74 files of 95104 kb
194 files of 18760 kb

the rest are of fewer files in each of varying KBs

the worst part is after running the win installer cleanup I can't run my M office progs.

thanks
Chari

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

I see...

You ran the WICU utility and it presented a list of programs - then what did you do? Select All, Remove?

Were your Office programs in WICU before, you did whatever you did and now are they gone? It doesn't remove anything unless you tell it. Is WICU not showing you anything now?

What happens when you try to run your Office programs, besides they don't run.

I have only run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to view what it finds for curiosity, then I run:

C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap G!

manually from a command prompt.

When msizap it is done, and you run Windows Installer Cleanup Utiltity again, you still should see the same programs and everything still works - at least the times I have used it to clean up the huge Installer folder issue.

I will look for other ideas, but now I am not sure what WICU did to Office - I have never seen that but I also never let WICU "do" anything - I have just used msizap on systems win big Installer folders (and Office) with no problems, and just did again on mine.

Hmmm...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#14 sri66

sri66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hi

Yes, when I ran win installer clean up, it showed many programs that one could select and remove. Obvoiusly, I assumed that windows knew what it was doing, so I selected all and clicked remove but it reduced the size only by 1 gb-better than 0 kb!
when I booted it the next day, nothing happens on clicking the word files but if I try to open Ms Word, I get the error message
"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed" and so for all the MS office items. I believe this is a problem with the shortcuts...but I don't really know....

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:03 AM

I think shortcuts or associations too from what I read.

Do you still have the Office stuff in your Start, Programs menu or are you double clicking a Word document and then see the message, etc. How do you see this message?

What version of Office do you have? Somebody can probably tell you what to do to recreate all the shortcuts in one fell swoop - I will look too...

Edited by joseibarra, 14 February 2010 - 10:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users