Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on, monitor will not

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joesmith

joesmith

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

Hey guys. This morning I went to go turn on my PC and to my dismay, it did not boot. The computer powers on, but the monitor stays in power saving mode. No bios, no windows xp loading screen, nothing. What I have tried is to hook a working monitor up to my PC, but it still did not work(stayed in power save mode). I also have cleaned out the inside of my PC to make sure it was not over heating in any way. I also triple checked to make sure everything was hooked up correctly and securely. I am really lost as of what to do next. The specs for my PC are:

Gigabyte S-Series MA78G-DS3HP Mother Board
AMD Athlon X2 64 6000
Power Supply ATI Coolmax CXI Series 500W
WD 160 GB HD
(Gigabyte) ATI Radeon HD 4650
4 GB RAM
Windows XP Pro

The monitor which I was using was just an out-of-the-box monitor I recieved with an older IBM computer.
IBM E74 monitor

I did start a windows update last night and I had fallen asleep before it finished. Could this may have cause some sort of hard drive corruption? Or is this some sort of video driver problem? Totally stumped.. Any help is appreciated! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

I'd try a different PSU (temporarily), for the sake of eliminating something from contention.

Lights are no indication that the PSU is actually providing sufficient power to the system.

Louis

I'd also remove and then reseat the RAM modules.

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2010 - 01:05 PM.

#3 joesmith

joesmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

I reseated the RAM and the vid. card. No luck. I am thinking it might be my PSU or my mobo... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users