Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiMalware in Appwiz

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 macBleepOrb

macBleepOrb

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

I have a laptop which has been infected with AntiMalware. It is now clean. However, there is still an entry for it in "Add or Remove Programs". As I am unwilling to execute any code possibly created my the virus writers I was hoping for some expert advice on what is the best way to remove this ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

If Add/Remove Programs is showing an entry but the program/folder for AntiMalware has been removed, then its an orphaned entry. You can remove orphaned entries in the registry but a much safer and easier way to do this is to download and use a third party program like MyUninstaller or RevoUninstaller. After launching the program, right-click on the entry and choose the option to "Delete the selected entry".

To fix manually in the registry, refer to:CAUTION: This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable. ERUNT is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 macBleepOrb

macBleepOrb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

Thanks. As it happens, after checking that the folder was removed, I decided to test the "remove" thro appwiz and it offered to delete the orphan from the list.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif