Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't re-install windows on my HP laptop after new hard drive replacement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cableman

cableman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

My sister has an HP Pavilion dv5000 that had to have a new hard drive. No problem so far until I go to install windows on the new drive. She lost her original disk so I am having to use another that has worked before on different computers as long as I used their correct serial numbers but this time it won't work. I have a really good install disk of Windows XP but it is for Dell so I can't use it. The one I downloaded, I burned onto a dvd as a bootable iso image so it would install windows but after it formats I get a message that says it is not a genuine disk instead of asking me for the serial numbers.

Can I get another install disk from windows or do I have to pay for it? What can I do under the circumstances? The original version was Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 but she and I will be happy with any version of windows XP and would put Vista in it if I had to. Somebody please give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

HP will replace the disks for about 17.00

post your model and serial number (HP uses serial number to determine which year your computer is and which software it can legally supply) and I can point you to the place to order. Or go to HP support and put in the model number and wend your way to the drivers and downloads section and write down the part number listed under "recovery disk set" (may be more than one available for your model) and then look on the right side of the page for a link to order your recovery disk set. You will need to enter the SN at some point to order.

Also if the old drive is still readable, you could (on those later than Nov. 2004) clone the recovery partition and the "c" partition off the old drive and then write it to the new drive and use f-11 or f-10 to run the recovery install from the hp splash screen of the new drive. After the install you can then expand the original partition to fit the new drive size.

I have a dv5000 on the bench in front of me and I own a compaq v5000 (which uses the identical recovery disk set.)
The compaq did not come with a recovery partition so I had to order the disks set.
Both use mediacenter 2005

The recovery disk set made from the original files is 2 duel layer dvd's, or 4 dvd-r dvd's, or 23 CD's.

The actual HP OEM recovery disk set will not ask for a cd-key and will be automatically activated.

If it does ask, be aware that hp has sent out the wrong disk set occasionally and keep after them until you get the right one.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 11 February 2010 - 12:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users