Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guardian Software Conflict??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WaftingBy

WaftingBy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

Greetings folks,

I've never posted here before .. and am only computer-savvy enough to cause problems, so please forgive me any ignorance.

I'm running XP professional on a 5.5 year old Dell Inspiron 8600. I love my laptop, and it's been hardy and up to everything I've thrown at it, until recently.

We trashed our land line in the fall of 2007; and since our primary connection mode was dial-up, I had to find a new way online. I signed up with ATT for a wireless G3 modem .. not quite as fast as cable, but a whole lot faster than dial-up. Shortly after getting comfortable, I decided I should probably increase my security software. I have all free or shareware ... Comodo, Threatfire, AVG 9.0, ccleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and Super Anti-Spyware. I update those that need it manually on a daily basis, and lately have been doing full scans almost daily - though since I've stopped opening my AOL software (and accessing my AOL email via Mozilla), I rarely find anything when I scan.

However, regardless of the browser I'm using (I use Mozilla most often, but also have Google Chrome and IE available), it will often happen that pages I'm trying to get to are all of a sudden unavailable .. I get error messages and have to close the browser. When I try to remove and re-insert the modem into a USB slot in an attempt to "reboot" it, I'll then get an error message (Error 651). Nothing short of a total system reboot will allow me to get back online. I called ATT Customer Service and discovered this was a "page load error" and nothing to do with the modem or its software.

I'm certain it's not anything nasty that's gotten in, and I've been doing a CHK DSK and defrag every couple of days as well without any significant improvement. I can only assume there's a conflict among my various guardian software products - though I've been running all these things together for over a year without issue. I've made sure all the browsers as well at the ATT software is "excepted" or "trusted" in Comodo (and it's never stopped me from getting online .. it's only after I've been on a little while that the problem begins). Threatfire's website assures me that it's real-time virus protection software works unobstructed with other anti-virus software, so I wasn't concerned about it working with AVG .. yet the problem continues.

I can't seem to find a way to disable AVG totally, so I've tried just shutting down Comodo and Threatfire .. and so far, I don't seem to be having any connection problems. But I'm loathe to surf without Threatfire and Comodo (I don't particularly care for Windows' firewall, as its protection seems to be only one way) .. especially since I conduct a good chunk of my small home-based business via Facebook and a blog. And I'm on almost daily processing credit card orders, placing orders with vendors, and many other tasks .. several of which I'd be concerned about being compromised.

If my problem IS a conflict, can any of these things be tweaked to better allow them to work together??? I've been wasting way too many hours .. and full days .. on this issue, and my inventory is beginning to suffer. Would like to fix the problem and be able to get back to work.

Any suggestions?

Frustrated and over my head in northern NY :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WaftingBy

WaftingBy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:07 PM

Just an additional note .. the modem has its own firewall; but I have no access to it and I have no idea how useful or effective it is on its own.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:49 AM

I think you are a bit over protected and you have a software conflict problem. You should only use one Anti-virus and you have Threatfire and AVG and never said whether you are just using Comodo Firewall on its own, with Defence + or the full CIS package including the Anti-Virus?. You can also reduce the danger of conflicts by using Superantispyware and Malwarebytes as on demand scanners. My advice would be to download and install Revo Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst...e_download.html and use it to uninstall Threatfire and AVG 9.0. Then reinstall the full Comodo CIS suite if you are not already using it. Uninstall SAS and MBAM and reinstall as on demand scanners (ie: without the real time protection) Use Firefox as your main browser with the add-ons Ad-Block Plus, No-Script and WOT. As for CCCleaner you shouldn't really use any registry cleaner unless you are absolutely clear over what you are doing with it.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users