Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to dismiss Windows Update Notification

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Don100

Don100

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

I have set Windows to notify me when updates are available so that I can select the ones I want and install them. Yesterday I received notification of seven new updates. I downloaded and installed six of them, but one I do not want. This one relates to a junk mail filter. As I use my ISP's email system; I don't need or want this.

I can't get the notification about this update to go away. It sits on the bottom right of my screen, annoys me, and could even being using RAM. How do I decline this update and make it go away.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks,

Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

I'm not in front of my Windows 7 (same interface as Vista) computer, but I think this is how you do it.

- select the update you don't want to install by putting a check mark in the box.
- RIGHT click. On the menu it should ask you to ignore or hide this update.
- if there is no such option, look at the menu on the left hand side and look for an option to hide.
Select OK and WU should not bother you again about the update.

Again, I am going by memory here....I'm at work in front of my good 'ol XP laptop. :huh:

#3 Don100

Don100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

I_am_CanadianEh?,

Thanks for the clue. It actually didn't work exactly that way, but your suggestion prompted me to try more alternatives based on your comment, and one of them worked.

Specifically, what I did was to (1) click on the icon in my taskbar to bring it up, (2) left-click on the link that read something like "more information," (3) right-click on the description of the link that Microsoft wants me to download, and (4) select "hide". Not exactly elegant, but then again, Microsoft apparently doesn't want it to be that easy to discard their updates.

The above steps may not be exactly precise, as I could not retrace my steps once I executed them. They are reasonably close, so others reading this thread can follow them.

Thanks again. BTW, keep your darn snow up there in Canada... we're getting blasted here in the northeastern US. (G)

Don

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

Glad it worked out for you.
BTW - If you find Vista a bear...upgrade to Windows 7. Similar interface to Vista but much more stable IMO.

BTW, keep your darn snow up there in Canada... we're getting blasted here in the northeastern US. (G)

If you look at your weather system charts, all that dumping in DC came from "Colorado Lows". All of Canada has been pretty dry this winter. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users