Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Compaq Presario keeps restarting over and over and over! XP operating system! HELP!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robandki

robandki

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

Okay, here is my problem. I have an hp presario desktop. Last night we had very high winds and the power kept on going on and off. When trying to use my desktop this morning a page comes up asking me how I would like to start my computer:
safe mode, safe mode with networking, start windows normally, etc. I have tried each of them, let the computer try to reboot and my computer keeps restarting itself. It will get to the compaq screen and then restart. I does the same with safe mode, etc. I don't know what to do. I thought it might be overheating so I let it sit overnight turned off. This morning I tried to start it again and it keeps restarting itself.

Please help me! I don't know what else to do. I can't even get to the windows screen where all of my files are..I just want my computer to work again! Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:24 AM

You may have a corrupted windows file(s), and that is preventing your system from booting up normally. The power issues could have damaged something within your computer such as the hard drive to the point where it only partially works. Are these files important, and do you have another computer you can put this drive in as slave and backup the data off of it, prior to performing a system restore?

#3 robandki

robandki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:57 AM

I don't have another computer...that I could put the drive in. bahhh! Is there no other way to get the computer working other than system restore?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:00 AM

FWIW: Anytime that there is an event such as a power outage...which results in a hard shutdown of the system...it's a good idea to run the chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console before attempting use of the system.

As Cryptodan indicated, corrupt/damaged files may result from such shutdowns.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#5 robandki

robandki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:22 AM

I can not find my xp cd. Argh this day is just getting worse. My computer makes these weird sounds when trying to load up over and over, and then keeps restarting.

#6 robandki

robandki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

I just did a system restore....I guess I will just have to go from here. All my files are gone. This sucks!

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

I can not find my xp cd. Argh this day is just getting worse. My computer makes these weird sounds when trying to load up over and over, and then keeps restarting.

What kind of noises?

Metallic sounding like a grinder?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users