Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro SP3 stuck in BSOD loop, can't access safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 noiseordinance

noiseordinance

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:10 AM

Hi there. Ironically, I've helped clean a bajillion computers of friends and coworkers, etc., while keeping my own computers clean for a few years now. I just got struck with something really nasty on my home desktop PC, however, and I have no clue how to fix it.

To start, I have XP Pro SP3. I was surfing the net and a bunch of popups came up. Naturally, I reboot and attempt safe mode, but I get a blue screen (which flashes before I can even read it) and reboot. Additionally, last known config also causes a blue screen loop.

-With my laptop, I created an Avira rescue CD and booted with it. It cleaned a few things that I've never suspected of having problems (I believe false positives). Nonetheless, after it finishes, I tried to reboot again in safe mode. No good.

-Next, booted with Windows CD > Recovery Console > chkdsk /r which claims to have repaired some issues... still can't boot.

-Finally, I attempted a repair at my MBR. Basically, loaded back into the recovery console, and:
ATTRIB -H C:\\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\\boot.ini
ATTRIB -R C:\\boot.ini
del boot.ini
BOOTCFG /Rebuild
CHKDSK /R
FIXBOOT

Again, I can't boot. Now, granted, I've never done a repair of my boot.ini as I'm the kinda person that would rather just reformat under serious conditions. However, after the above procedure, I now have two Windows XP entries to boot from, which makes me think that I didn't properly delete my boot.ini... At any rate, I'm not even sure a boot.ini rebuild is necessary... I'm just desperate to get into safe mode to clean this virus out.

Could anyone provide any pointers before I reformat? I would absolutely hate to reformat, as this is my recording studio PC and will literally take forever for me to reconfig, but you know.... gotta do what ya gotta do...

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:30 AM

Just a quick question.

Why would you be using a recording studio PC to surf the net with? Especially if it takes a lot of time to reconfigure.

Have you tried a repair install?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:08 AM

I believe that the bootcfg /rebuild command...results in deletion of the boot.ini and a new one being created.

Bootcfg Command And Uses, New Boot.ini File - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

It should always be remembered that typical XP repair commands...are not intended to deal with possible malware problems, only O/S problems.

<<...and a bunch of popups came up.>>

Such as?

Louis

#4 noiseordinance

noiseordinance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

Crytpodan - I was researching a music related feature. Yeah, I know, shoulda done that on my laptop. When I say studio, I mean my personal studio, not a professional rig. As such, I do less than professional activities on this computer, like share media to my XBOX, gaming, etc. But primarily the internet is turned off. I will try the repair install, though I was hoping to avoid that.

Hamluis - I guess I figured a virus or something hosed my boot config? My logic was if I could repair it and get into safe mode, I could clean the computer out, but in this case, my logic was flawed. The popups were empty, but about 20 IE windows sprang up (which is strange cause I use Chrome / Firefox) so I immediately rebooted.

No advice before I do a repair install?

#5 noiseordinance

noiseordinance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

Attempted repair install. It copies the files to the hard drive and reboots. When it gets to the Windows XP loading screen, it freezes (the status bar stops moving and hangs indefinitely)...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:43 PM

I would run a hard drive diagnostic, just because that's SOP with me.

I like to eliminate the things I have to guess at as possible causes/cures :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users