Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought Friend's Desktop, Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thisguyhere

Thisguyhere

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:01 AM

Hello, I'm fairly new to the forums so forgive me in my newb-ness. I recently bought my friends gaming rig and noticed that there were some upgrades I could do, but seeing as how I haven't built a computer since 2000...I think I could use some input. Back then I tore down and rebuilt desktops multiple times a day and even became Cisco certified in networking, so I'm not completely new to this...just outdated.

Down to the point here's the specs of the rig I bought:

Antec 900 Case
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz 8600 model with a 1366 mhz FSB.
Mother Board: EVGA 680i SLI. This one has 3 video card slots. Also has a 1366 Mhz FSB.
300 Gig - Veloci-Raptor Drive 10,000 RPM
Creative Labs X-Fi Sound card
2x BFG 8800 GT Video cards running in SLI
8 Gigs of 1200 Mhz Ram (more than needed)

System has never been overclocked in any way according to him and runs stable. Upon researching further I noticed that there's the EVGA P55 SLI motherboard available which would allow me to upgrade the processor to an i7 or any of the new Intel CPUs. So I guess I'm asking if I would benefit from such an upgrade or should I just hold off for a while? Or am I just foolishly mistaken and there's much more to consider? Are there other upgrades I should consider? Whatever the case, I'd like to hear suggestions and opinions. I'm eager to learn again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

well a lot of it depends on what you need. do you need more horsepower? keep in mind to upgrade to a new intel board with SLI your talking at least 300 dollars for a new one, and a top of the line I7 another 500+ and then since they use DDR3 another $400 in memory that you will have to buy, whether you want to or not. so basically to upgrade to a I7 youd need to replace motherboard, CPU and the memory, and will need around $1200 start up costs. on the other hand, they do make core2 quads for that socket that would easily boost your CPU power like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115130 which is only $334, would double your CPU performance, and leaves you money to upgrade other options. Video cards are pretty decent, the 8800 is an old, but still solid card-probably one of the longest lasting NVIDIA cards on the market, though you would definitly see a performance by dropping a couple of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130527 in the system, though again its expensive. what kind of budget are you looking at?

Edited by the_patriot09, 11 February 2010 - 04:20 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Thisguyhere

Thisguyhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for your input. I thought the graphics cards seemed out of date. I'm honestly looking to spend $1200-$1500 over the next couple months, but don't mind stretching it if the i7 upgrade is going to be better in the long run. Honestly, I'm just looking to upgrade to mess around with video editing that I'm having to learn for my job and I certainly don't mind playing newer games on their best settings...so horsepower is kinda nice. Also, I used to love building computers so its somewhat of a hobby/project. I'm sure there are those that understand that. :thumbsup:

So I'm probably looking at a little over $1000 for the Quad + Graphics card upgrades and nearly $2000(+) for the i7 conversion + graphics cards. Hrmm...

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

You could probably go for a Phenom II system, it is less expensive and comes very close to the i7 920 in terms of performance. Regardless on whichever you choose, this will be a serious overhaul of the PC and you will need to repurchase and reinstall Windows. Below is an idea...

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX - A high-end AMD motherboard with DDR3. This allows for the newest AMD CPU's and Crossfire with ATI graphics cards. If you want to keep the graphics cards in Nvidia's SLI you will need to get the MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a. $184

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz - This is the best CPU AMD has. It can come close to the i7 920 in terms of performance, a Core i7 950 surpasses this CPU. The Phenom II 965 is a Black Edition CPU which means the multiplier is unlocked allowing for easy overclocking. $179

RAM: Patriot Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - All Core i3/i5/i7 and AM3 CPU's require DDR3 memory. $96

Graphics Card: DIAMOND 5870PE51G Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB - Second to the most powerful card on the market, the dual GPU-core Radeon 5970, the 5870 blows away the Nvidia cards in terms of performance. $394

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Unless you are using a full, boxed retail version of Windows, you need to repurchase it to comply with the license. $104

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users