Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD during Windows XP Pro Startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spartan0187

spartan0187

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:27 AM

Hello, I've been using my new custom PC for about 6 months now, with zero operating system or hardware issues. But the other day, I reached an issue with my PC. I was playing Xbox 360 on another input of my monitor, and I had left my PC on just sitting at the desktop, as I often do...when all of the sudden I hear the audio for Windows logging off. I wondered why in the world the computer would log off by itself, as anyone would, so I switched back over to the PC input to find out what was going on.

When I switched back over the computer was at the black screen that has the choices to "Start Windows Normally," use the "Last Known Good Configuration," or start the computer in Safe Mode with the 3 Safe Mode choices.

I have 2 problems.

1) I can't use the keyboard's arrow keys (or any keys) at the black screen to choose how to restart the computer, so I must always wait 30 seconds for it to try to start normally. The keyboard comes on because of the lights, but the computer doesn't respond to it at the black screen. I've tried other USB ports and tried going into the BIOS's Integrated Peripherals area to change the settings of the keyboard (OS, or BIOS). Neither worked. This is frustrating because if I could figure out how to use the keyboard I could possibly get the computer running in Safe Mode and find out what the problem is.

2) When the countdown at the black screen completes, Windows proceeds to start up (blue bar going across in the bottom-middle of the screen) and then I get a BSOD and the computer restarts. I have not been able to get past this.

Sorry for the long post. I would greatly appreciate someone's response to this. I'm confident it's a simple problem and that my computer probably just needs a reformat, but if I could figure out how to fix this problem without having to reformat, that would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

<<...tried going into the BIOS's Integrated Peripherals area to change the settings of the keyboard (OS, or BIOS).>>

I guess that I don't understand this...I've never seen a setting for the keyboard in the BIOS.

In any case...make sure that you have enabled USB support in the BIOS...that allows the USB keyboard to function before the typical USB drivers are loaded. The setting should say something similar to "USB legacy" or "USB DOS support".

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users