Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio and Mouse Stuttering consistantly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jlajla24

jlajla24

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:16 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 running Windows Vista 32 bit with SP2.

A few days ago, I noticed my hard drive was almost full. So, I ventured into my computer to determine what I could get rid of. I purged everything simple (multimedia), then did some program removal (lazy housekeeper). Then I ran CCleaner and Registry Mechanic to hopefully pickup any of the little bits my early spring cleaning may have left behind.

With it being late at night, I didn't have my volume up but noticed my mouse pointer acting a bid odd.

The next evening, I get home to do some browsing and the mouse problem is more clear, after a good nights sleep. Every second or so, the mouse stutters. More clearly, if you slowly drag the pointer accross the screen, the mouse moves, and every second or so, just for an instant it freezes. But, it obviously remembers where the pointer should be so it jumps suddenly after that brief moment to where the pointer should be. I can also see the progress spinning circle image on startup or when you start a new program has a noticable consistent hickup.

Now, it took another day for me to realize that the audio problem ties to this as well. To this point, I hadn't attempted to listed to any audio or play video. Once I did, I realized I was more confused than ever.

The audio has a stutter ever second or so right alongside the consistency with the mouse pointer. If you've ever noticed when a digital TV signal suddenly goes bad for a second and the audio sort of skips, it's a similar sound.

I ran a scan with Microsoft security essentials and adaware free version, with no luck. Unsure about MSE, I uninstalled, installed AVG free, scanned with no result.

I updated my audio, video and BIOS drivers. No change.

I uninstalled my audio and video drivers, then rebooted and let the OS find the drivers. No change.

Finally, earlier this evening, I did a system restore as far back as I could go, which appears to be right in the middle of my spring cleaning (mentioned earlier).

I have googled every combination of my symptoms that I can find. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:57 AM

Run "dxdiag". You may have borked your DirectX runtime while cleaning.

#3 jlajla24

jlajla24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Ran dxdiag, all checks out with "no problems found". Running DirectX 11.

#4 jlajla24

jlajla24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

Any other ideas out there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users