Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Task manager

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:27 AM

Dear Computer whiz kids,

I am operating Windows XP Professional. While using the Task Manager I clicked on Processes and was advised that there are 27 processes running at that time. Most, almost all, were System, but there were also some Network Service and Local Service and also User processes.

It also adviced that CPU usage was 100%.

I had no programs running at that time.

Do I need all these processes running?
Is this slowing down my computer?
If so how do I know whch I can close down?

Any assistance or guidance in this are would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Constantine
(Moderator edit: removed Email address to protect member from spambots.jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 02 September 2005 - 02:04 AM.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:15 AM

You can find information about start up programmes in the BC startup database (click on "startup programs" at the top of the page); here is listed almost all programs, with advice about whether they are needed, optional, or should be deleted.
If you have Spybot on your hard drive, changing to "advanced mode" will enable many useful tools. One of these is System Startup; the information provided there makes it somewhat easier to figure out what each application does or provide a little more detail for further research, and allows you to manage what loads on boot.

Many applications will want to run in the background after you boot up your computer; this makes lauching them very quick (since they are there "waiting for you"). The downside to this convenience is that each adds a little to the boot time, and each needs a small amount of processing resources to run in the background.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 02 September 2005 - 02:15 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:24 AM

27 processes running is not "high" by the way.

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:54 PM

Hi Constantine, long time no see, good to see you around again. :thumbsup: I am glad to see that you finally got your system upgraded to Win XP. :flowers:

As Enthusiast said, 27 processes is really a pretty good number for running processes. And as jgweed points out you can look in BC's own start up list for some help in determining which programs you may safely stop from running at windows start up. Another place to look is to follow the link in my signature and look the process in question up in the task list for information about what it is and what (if anything) to do about it.

Too many start up programs or running processes can slow down your computer but with only 27 processes running, I am thinking you may have a problem program so look up whatever processes are using up your CPU time and see if they are legit or if something malicious has invaded your computer.

Then post back and let us know what process(s) are causing the problems and/or any questions you may be having about any particular processes and we will try to help you to correct the problem.

See you around :trumpet:
There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:22 PM

How much ram do you have and what size is your pagefile set to?

Windows Memory Diagnostic

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:01 PM

What Enthusiast is talking about is something I was wondering about too, but thought we should see if you have any particular background process hogging all your CPU time first. Let us know if this is so, it may not be a memory problem.

As to the memory situation, I know you upgraded from Win 98 and was wondering if this 100% CPU usage has been happening since you upgraded or did it start just recently. Win XP requires a minimum of 128MB of RAM with something about 512MB or higher being a better number to run with.

To find out how much RAM you have open My Computer, right click on an open space, select Properties and then look on the bottom of the General tab. This will tell you what processor you have, it's clock speed and how much RAM you have installed.

To find your paging file size again go to My Computer then Properties but this time go to the Advanced tab and in the Performance section select Settings. This will open a window called Performance Options. Select the Advanced tab and in the Virtual Memory section it will tell you your paging file size. For best performance it should be about 1 and 1/2 times your installed RAM (ie: 1GB RAM = 1.5GB Paging file).

Edited by Ronbo, 02 September 2005 - 11:03 PM.

#7 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

OK...Some information first.

I have 512 ram and have taken your advice Ronbo and adjusted my page file size to 765.

I have also downloaded AdAware SE and run that. That found a lot of stuff and eliminated one process that was hogging power. I have also searched the start up programs databases recommended to me. This is not quite as staraight forward as one might think. I will continue to look at these as time allows.

My CPU is now running at about 30%.

I am not experiencing any problems at the moment so all the advice I received has been helpful, but more importantly I know a bit more about my computer than I did previously.

I applaude all you people who give so much of your time to help out others with problems. It really is a great thing.

Sincerely..

Constantine.

#8 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:18 PM

Glad that your CPU is not running at 100% anymore.... but the fact that you are still running at 30% CPU usage makes me think you may still be infected with something. I would recommend that you post a hijack this log and let the people in the hijack this section take a look to see if anything bad remains on your system.

This tutorial will explain and help you through the process;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s-Log-t956.html

Good luck Constantine, don't be a stranger :thumbsup:

#9 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:22 PM

Ronbo, You were correct. I was still ,infected.

I followed your advice and checked out hijackthis. I downloaded and ran Spybot S & D. I had already used Adaware. My CPU (piss weak as it is) is now running at 7%.

I am as happy as a pig in excrement.

I recently bought my son a new computer with all the bells and whistles. Sadly, he wont let me near it, so I have to make the best of my poor old P3.

Thanks again

Constantine

Edited by Constantine, 06 September 2005 - 11:23 PM.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:34 PM

Your fixing this computer should provide you with enough validation to operate your son's.

:thumbsup:

Depending on how old your son is, you should occasionally check out his internet history anyway. :flowers:

#11 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:09 AM

Dear enthusiast,

My son is 14. But more importantly I an an ex-cop with a suspicious nature. I am very much aware of the possible pitfalls and am certainly making it my business to monitor what he is up to.

Fortunately so far he is proving to be far less adventurous than I was at his age.

As for validation, I have the receipt for the cost of the new computer paid for out of my own threadbare pocket. But it makes him happy to call the computer his. If he is happy I am happy.

Cheers, regards and salutations

Constantine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users