Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I may have screwed the Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

Hi,

So I am re-installing at the minute (I am on a school computer now). I may have screwed the Windows installation up already. I restarted the system, pressed F12 go the Boot, selected cd/dvd etc. and pressed enter. I then selected the language. Then the options came up for what to do with the Recovery drive and the main Drive (the one with the most space -- the bigger one). I chose the latter, but I Formated (erased) both of them. The guide says "Before you can install Windows Vista, you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the computer boots from the installation disc instead of the hard drive." I didn't do this. Is that a problem?

I may have already scrwed it up. Not blaming you, but that guide is hard to follow.

Thanks

EDIT: I screwed it up. The C drive only has like 15 GB while the D has 450 GB. I switched them somehow...I think I need to just re-do it but change the boot order? I hope Formating both drives didn't do anything bad either

Edited by Jagst3r15, 09 February 2010 - 11:07 PM.

Best Staff: Boopme, quietman7 and Pandy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Ok this will be a long post, here it goes:

So I instert the Dell Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP 1 disk and the dell symbol comes up and says loading so I press F 12 and the boot menu comes up and I select right from CD/DVD. Then it says press any key to enter so I do. I believe I got it right up till now.

I then Formated both of the drives (C and D) when the two options came up. I proceeded to click on the one I thought was right and clicked next. So it does its stuff and I enter my password etc. I notice however when I get to the desktop my D drive has 450 GB and my C has only 15 GB. So I re-try installing it and pick the other option (I didnt format it this time). This worked out a little better, the C had 450 GB and the D had the right amount, 15 GB or something. I noticed that both said Local Disk C however and there was no recovery. So I am worried but proceed to try and install the Dell Drives and whatnot but am perplexed because I can't figure out which to install and if I was doing it correctly. THEN, I restart the comp and I low and behold there are TWO choices, both saying Windows Vista. One was the OS with the D drive of 450 GB and the other was the more normal one.

So, I go ahead and try to reinstall it again and Format the two drives but being and idiot I picked the D drive as my main slot again so it has 450GB!!. At this point I want to cry. I have only this one installed on my computer at the minute and will wait for advice before I proceed further.

I know Dell said it would be an 85 dollar charge for them to help me and my Uni's Tech Department said it would be like 130 dollars. I refuse to pay that much however and will try to do it myself.

Could someone give me explicit instructions on how I should reinstall the OS the correct way? and on how I should install the Dell Drivers? (Please dont post that link to the site telling you how to install windows vista -- its so confusing ).

Thanks in advance.

#3 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

Problem solved. You can close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users