Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DLLhost.exe concerns

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Soulgain

Soulgain

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

When I open up task manager, there's the normal dllhost.exe initalized by SYSTEM and then, whenever I open anything and sometimes randomly, another instance opened initialized by my user name appears and disappears. I ended the ComsysApp service and the first dllhost.exe stopped appearing, but the other one still keeps popping up. Is this normal? It's located under system32 when I ever I choose to go to it's location from task manager.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

dllhost.exe is a process belonging to Microsoft Windows Operating System. The dllhost.exe file manages DLL based applications. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

svchost.exe is another important process you will see running a lot. There is nothing to be alarmed at. It is perfectly normal for these processes to appear multiple times in the Task Manager, as they are both important to the functionality of your operating system. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Soulgain

Soulgain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:40 PM

Well, that does make sense since everytime I open a program or do anything that requires a dll to load, it opens and closes really quick. I guess I'm just too used to XP.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

Yes, Windows 7 can take some getting used to (especially if you migrated from XP), but it is well worth it. :huh:

Keep in mind, it is still a good idea to keep tabs on what runs in your Task Manager. I keep a watch on mine to get a good idea of what normally runs. If I see something strange come along, it is worth investigating. But like I said, the system processes are obligatory.

Enjoy Windows 7! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Soulgain

Soulgain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:39 AM