Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A question about a new hdd installation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

My old hdd died last week and I found a good deal on a 200GB Maxtor. The broblem is that I'm using Windows 2k Pro which will normally only recognize 137GB, it came with software that will enable the OS to recognize the larger hdd as long as the W2k has SP3 or better. There's the rub...all I had was the CD to install the W2k, no service pac, so I split the drive into C and D partitions and installed the OS. The instructions had warned that installing this large of a hdd without the software provided could lead to lost data. The only problem that I see is that Everest only shows 127GB of the 200.

This seams like the old catch 22, can't install the sp4 ( what is current) until the system is up and running, and then the hdd is all ready partitioned and formatted and has w2k running, what's a guy suppose to do?

Does this remind anyone of the descrition of a blivit?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 systemfile

systemfile

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:41 PM

Time Consuming:
install it, download the SP4 or whatever and then burn it.. reinstall

The Slightly Illegal:
Get a copy of XP

The Best Option:
get someone else to get you the SP4
SystemFile.DLL
SystemFile.DLL

Posted Image

SystemFile.DLL

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:53 PM

Download Digital Dolly 1.0 , and follow the instruction to burn it to a CD. It will allow you to resize you partitions after you install w2K sp4.
It has alot of other features also. Even if you don't resize your HD it's a good utility to have and best of all it's free.
I would have left a partition for my data. 20gb partition to save your data to in case you have to reinstll windows.
Have several
c:/ WINDOWS
d:/ DATA
e:/ MP3
f:/ PICTURES
g:/ MyDocuments

You get the idea. Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:02 AM

Time Consuming:
install it, download the SP4 or whatever and then burn it.. reinstall

The Slightly Illegal:
Get a copy of XP

The Best Option:
get someone else to get you the SP4

Illegal practices are not condoned here at BC, Please don't advise the members here to obtain an Illegal version of any software.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:03 AM

Is there a way to burn a copy of the sp4 from my machine to use in a reinsall?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:25 AM

acklan...I sure would like to check out that program, but not bad enought to indulge in a download that will take over four hours. I'm restricted to a snailophone line. :thumbsup:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:43 AM

We have a local used computer store that burned me a copy. They ordered a copy form MS for their shop use. I think MS offers a the cd for the cost of shipping. Set the DL of Dig. Dol. for after you go to bed. It's worth every penny :thumbsup: .
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users