Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Katrina Victims

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JeanInMontana

JeanInMontana

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:28 PM

This is a for real way to help. I am a member of Move On and this was an email to me. It's not a scam or hoax.

Hurricane Katrina's toll on communities, homes and lives has devastated the nation. Now victims must face the daunting question of where to go next—and we can help.

Tens of thousands of newly homeless families are being bused to a stadium in Houston, where they may wait for weeks or months. At least 80,000 are competing for area shelters, and countless more are in motels, cars, or wherever they can stay out of the elements. The Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Red Cross are scrambling to find shelter for the displaced.

This morning, we've launched an emergency national housing drive to connect your empty beds with hurricane victims who desperately need a place to wait out the storm. You can post your offer of housing (a spare room, extra bed, even a decent couch) and search for available housing online at:

http://www.hurricanehousing.org

Housing is most urgently needed within reasonable driving distance (about 300 miles) of the affected areas in the Southeast, especially New Orleans.

Please forward this message to anyone you know in the region who might be able to help.

But no matter where you live, your housing could still make a world of difference to a person or family in need, so please offer what you can.

The process is simple:

You can sign up to become a host by posting a description of whatever housing you have available, along with contact information. You can change or remove your offer at any time.

Hurricane victims, local and national relief organizations, friends and relatives can search the site for housing. We'll do everything we can to get your offers where they are needed most. Many shelters actually already have Internet access, but folks without 'net access can still make use of the site through case workers and family members.

Hurricane victims or relief agencies will contact hosts and together decide if it's a good match and make the necessary travel arrangements. The host's address is not released until a particular match is agreed on.

If hosting doesn't work for you, please consider donating to the Red Cross to help with the enormous tasks of rescue and recovery. You can give online at:

http://www.moveon.org/r?r=859

As progressives, we share a core belief that we are all in this together, and today is an important chance to put that idea to work. There are thousands of families who have just lost everything and need a place to stay dry. Let's do what we can to help.

http://www.hurricanehousing.org

Thanks for being there when it matters most.

—Noah Winer and the whole MoveOn.org Civic Action Team
Thursday, September 1st, 2005

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the contacts. We must all do something, if only pray.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 blackrider

blackrider

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:22 AM

Praying is not enough.. we need to do somethig if we wanna help out.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:59 AM

The New Orleans Coalition for Legal Aid and Disaster Relief

ABOUT US

The Coalition seeks to bring together resources from all parts of the legal community (law school faculty, students, and practicing lawyers), as well as non-lawyers, to facilitate the fair distribution of federal, state, and private disaster relief to New Orleanians (wherever they may be) in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. We will also assist other groups that provide emergency legal services to those in need.

Though the Coalition developed from the efforts of Tulane Law School faculty, students, and alumni, the Coalition is independently organized as the From the Lake to the River Foundation, Inc., membership and participation are open to anyone (especially lawyers and law students) who want to help with this crucial relief effort.

September 25, 2005 Press Release - LEGAL WATCHDOG GROUP TO MONITOR KATRINA RELIEF

New Orleans Coalition for Legal Aid and Disaster Relief Seeks Volunteer Law Students and Attorneys

September 25, New Orleans, LA - Tulane Law School faculty, alumni and friends have established a non-profit legal aid and disaster relief effort to facilitate the fair and prompt distribution of disaster relief to victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. The newly formed From the Lake to the River Foundation established the New Orleans Coalition for Legal Aid and Disaster Relief to serve as a clearinghouse for legal information for victims of Hurricane Katrina and will monitor the relief effort to ensure the prompt and fair distribution of federal, state, and private disaster relief to New Orleanians.

Edited by Scarlett, 15 October 2005 - 07:08 AM.

Posted Image

#5 JeanInMontana

JeanInMontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 03:08 PM

:thumbsup: This sounds like a real winner idea Scarlett. I'll spread it around a bit. :flowers:

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:12 PM

Jean I'm so happy that you are pleased. :thumbsup:
I was a little worried that I was highjacking your thread.
But then I thought that the more info. posted, concerning the plight of the hurricane victims the better.
They need all the help they can get.
Please do spread the word.
Posted Image

#7 JeanInMontana

JeanInMontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:23 PM

I totally agree with you.....I don't see it as my thread at all.....merely information I thought might do some good. No time for ego. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users