Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what exactly is debugging mode?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 zach attack

zach attack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

I've been wondering this for a while now. About a month ago, my computer was attacked by a trojan, and now when i boot my computer in normal mode It crashes. However it has always worked just fine in debugging mode. So since it seemed to be just about the same, and since I didn't feel like paying $20 for a new windows xp cd (especialy because that may not fix the problem), I've just been using debugging mode for a while now.

Everything has been fine, except some weird stuff has been happening lately. Now whenever my computer boots in debugging mode, it hangs after about a minute. I can get it to not hang by first going in safe mode and then doing a system restore, but when i restart my computer and reboot in debugging mode, it just hangs again. Also, my zune software refuses to open. However i blame this on the recent update i have applied to it (it started just after the update). And since alot of people seem to have had this problem, it wouldn't be unusual, however frostwire is now doing the exact same thing. Also, right click doesn't work on the internet, which is kinda weird. And finally, whenever i try to play video on windows media player, it hangs (which i don't think used to happen, but I don't quite recall). Not sure about other media players, I haven't tried.

Ok, we get it, theres alot of random problems, but my questions are:
What exactly is debugging mode?
- What does it do?
- What is it made for
- what's the difference between normal mode and debugging mode
- Why can I run debugging mode and not normal mode?
- are there any adverse effects of using debugging mode for a while?
- Is it ok to download stuff in debugging mode? Or is that why my computer keeps hanging?

I've tried googleing it, but All the information I could find was 'It's an advanced mode for IT professionals' and 'it disables some drives for debugging'

your input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edited by zach attack, 10 February 2010 - 09:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users