Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help re-installing Vista on a Dell

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

Ok this will be a long post, here it goes:

I had some beast malware on my laptop (a Dell Studio XPS M 1640) so I went ahead and re-installed the OS. However, I messed it up.

So I instert the Dell Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP 1 disk and the dell symbol comes up and says loading so I press F 12 and the boot menu comes up and I select right from CD/DVD. Then it says press any key to enter so I do. I believe I got it right up till now.

I then Formated both of the drives (C and D) when the two options came up. I proceeded to click on the one I thought was right and clicked next. So it does its stuff and I enter my password etc. I notice however when I get to the desktop my D drive has 450 GB and my C has only 15 GB. So I re-try installing it and pick the other option (I didnt format it this time). This worked out a little better, the C had 450 GB and the D had the right amount, 15 GB or something. I noticed that both said Local Disk C however and there was no recovery. So I am worried but proceed to try and install the Dell Drives and whatnot but am perplexed because I can't figure out which to install and if I was doing it correctly. THEN, I restart the comp and I low and behold there are TWO choices, both saying Windows Vista. One was the OS with the D drive of 450 GB and the other was the more normal one.

So, I go ahead and try to reinstall it again and Format the two drives but being and idiot I picked the D drive as my main slot again so it has 450GB!!. At this point I want to cry. I have only this one installed on my computer at the minute and will wait for advice before I proceed further.

I know Dell said it would be an 85 dollar charge for them to help me and my Uni's Tech Department said it would be like 130 dollars. I refuse to pay that much however and will try to do it myself.

Could someone give me explicit instructions on how I should reinstall the OS the correct way? and on how I should install the Dell Drivers? (Please dont post that link to the site telling you how to install windows vista -- its so confusing :huh:).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jagst3r15, 10 February 2010 - 08:05 PM.

Best Staff: Boopme, quietman7 and Pandy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

hello
don't cry...lol it's only a machine! so you have vista on it?
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

I want to cry b/c I have been working on it for 3-4 hrs a day for the past 5 or 6 days :huh:

and yes, Vista Ultimate, but again the D drive has 450 GB while the C has 15 Gb and they both say Local Disk...

Edited by Jagst3r15, 10 February 2010 - 08:45 PM.

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

but you accomplished what you wanted! look in disk management, what do you see?

start > right click"computer" > manage > ok @ UAC prompt > disk management (left side) whats listed ?
Have A Great Day

#5 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

I don't have my comp in front of me atm lol. I want to reinstall it though with the right stuff...I don't understand why the thing doesnt say "OS" then "Local Disk C" and then "Recovery D". Its all wacky.

#6 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

hello
Im not sure if you can get a recovery drive. (somebody will be able to answer that) but once you get the os on the computer, you can repartition it and name the partitions any thing you want!
but if you wait some other (smarter) people will chime in...good luck
Have A Great Day

#7 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

I appreciate your effort. I really hope I didn't screw anything up too bad.

#8 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

OK so just to clarify: I looked at the repartition stuff and it looks a little confusing and I would feel better anyway if I could just re-install Vista the right way. Lets say I do the latter and I get "Local Disk : C" with 450 GB but a "Local Disk : D" with the 15 GB. How do I get a Recovery? I think the D should be called Recovery?? AND shouldn't the "Local Disk C" be named "OS"?

Also need alot of help with the dell drivers and whatnot...

Edited by Jagst3r15, 10 February 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#9 Jagst3r15

Jagst3r15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

Problem solved. You can close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users