Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malfunctioning laptop keyboard and no display=Not Good

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stksidehi8

stksidehi8

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

Ok, hopefully somebody can help me out here.

So I had one of my laptops plugged into an external monitor, untill tonight when I decided to take it off the monitor to fool around with it. Bad idea apparently.

After unplugging it from the monitor, the display on the laptop was a blank screen (this is what usually happens when I first unplug it). Normally, I press the Fn key and the f4 button to toggle back the display to the actual laptop screen. However, for some reason this wasn't working and I couldn't figure out why. So I press the Caps Lock key to see if the icon on the keyboard lights up just to be sure the keyboard isn't broken. Low and behold the button wasn't lighting up, and my keyboard is broken.

So now I'm stuck with a laptop that has no display all because of a broken keyboard. I do have an external keyboard, but there is no way to toggle display from that. At least none which I can find. I have tried plugging the laptop back into the monitor and pressing the display toggle button on the monitor itself, and haven't had any luck with getting a display.

The laptop has bigger issues besides the display (reboots itself during startup), and I was just about to reinstall windows/perform a system restore on it. But obviously I can't do anything without a display.

If there is anyone out there who isn't completely confused by my explanation, and has at least an idea of what to do or where to start, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:06 AM

model and brand? service tag? There may be some workaround but it is probably brand specific rather than generic.

#3 stksidehi8

stksidehi8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

Not sure of the exact model off hand, but its an older gateway from 2005. I'll get the model number when I'm home from work.

#4 stksidehi8

stksidehi8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

Ok, so its not only my laptop keyboard, but it seems as though the external keyboard isn't working either. Caps lock or any other buttons still don't light up when using it.

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

do you get a bios beep ? Can you see the bios splash screen on either monitor?

Go to gateway site and look up how to reset the bios (or remove and reconnect the cmos battery) and see if that resets it to defaults.

Function key codes are usually special ascii combinations that are usually interpreted by the bios/firmware. In theory you could figure out the correct keystroks of ascii to send from an external keyboard.

Did you reconnect to the external monitor?

I don't have any laptops that will hold an external monitor as default without a return signal from the monitor. Most of them won't hold it across reboots even with a good monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users