Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot launch or start ANY programs in windows vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cameronveil

cameronveil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

I am running Vista Home Premium 64-bit
I recently tried installing "spy doctor" because I had this spyware vista gaurdian coming up. I also installed the latest windows updates.

Now, I can browse files on the computer, but if I try to launch ANY program windows asks me what program I would like to use to open the *.exe file. There is a handful of programs listed like firefox, adobe etc. The funny thing is if I try to start firefox and if asks me which program, I can select uTorrent and uTorrent will start up. So it seems like programs are working, but I cannot start any of them up through the desktop icons or start menu program list. This includes any windows programs like system restore etc.

Any idea what's causing this and how I can fix it?

Thanks!

CV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

Welcome to BC

You are still infected
Vista guardian removal instructions:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...irus-vista-2010
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users