Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configuring folder permissions on 2003

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 highlander1

highlander1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

Hello,

I created a folder on a network shared drive. I created a group to have sole access to this folder other than admin. What I am trying to do is set the permissions up so that the members of this group can modify, create, or delete any file or folder inside of this folder, but not be able to delete or move the parent folder that I created. The parent folder I created doesn't inherit any permissions. I have succeeded in keeping them from deleting the parent folder, but when I have them try and move the parent folder it remains where it is and a copy of the parent folder and it's contents are moved to the selected location. The contents of the original parent folder move with the copy and are no longer found in the original. Any ideas on how I can reach my objective?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

There is no way using standard share and NTFS permissions to keep a user that has access to a folder from copying it. I have seen some stuff about another MS product called Windows Rights Management Services which might be of interest to you but I don't think that will solve what you are trying to do either.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 highlander1

highlander1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:38 AM

That's kinda what I thought. I was hoping someone might come up with a solution that I didn't know about. I guess it didn't hurt to ask. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users