Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel will not open!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 emohan

emohan

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

I am running windows XP and everytime I try to open control panel, i get an error that says explorer encountered a problem and needs to restart. I tried running control.exe from command prompt and got same error. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

I would try running the sfc /scannow command.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#3 sarunk

sarunk

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:17 AM

Check if sfc scan fixes the issue.
Most of time these kind of issues happens due to system file corruption, some software conflict or infections in the computer or user profile corruption etc...
To narrow down the problem and give you proper solution please try to boot the computer in safe mode and check whether it is working or not. Please log in to default administrater account in safe mode. If you don't have this issue in safe mode then try creating a new user account from safe mode. Restart the computer and log in to new user account and check.

On how to boot the computer in safe mode please follow the link below.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Reply back with the status for further troubleshooting...

Thanks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users