Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no audio after recent windows updates crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rudi5

rudi5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

Hello everyone. Today I had the windows updates problem - BSOD after installing windows updates, and had to remove one of the security files (like 100s of other people). However, at some point in this process I lost my audio driver, and cannot get it reinstalled. Realtech HD Audio cannot start code 10. I have a Dell Vostro 1510 with XP Pro SP3. I have removed and reinstalled the driver, and tried updating it, several times from device manager and from the add hardware wizard. I think the required files are in my computer, but I cannot get it to start. Error message is always the same
- The software for this device is now installed, but it may not work correctly. The device cannot start. (Code 10)
Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?
Oh, all my audio codecs are ok. There is no audio listed in System devices in device manager - should there be?
Rudi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rudi5

rudi5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:42 AM

Update, although maybe no one is listening...
in dxdiag, the following: "No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer."
I should have Realtek HD audio...
There are several errors in Eventviewer, but none specific to the sound.
Errors for acpiec: \Device\ACPIEC: The embedded controller (EC) hardware didn't respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible.

Also for DCOM: DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

And:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
APPDRV
eeCtrl
Fips
intelppm
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL
SPBBCDrv
SRTSP
SRTSPX
SYMTDI
Tcpip
vsdatant

How is my computer running if all this does not start?

I can supply a zipped system information file if anyone can use that to help me.

I am really not happy that I have no music :thumbsup:

Edited by rudi5, 23 February 2010 - 05:43 AM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

several times from device manager

You want to download it from Dell, not let windows select it
Realtek ALC268 HD Audio:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=244268

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R179413.exe.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R179413. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R179413 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL - Superantispyware
=====================
SPBBCDrv
SRTSP
SRTSPX
SYMTDI - symantec
=======================
APPDRV - Dell network driver

Edited by garmanma, 24 February 2010 - 10:58 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 rudi5

rudi5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the reply garmanma - I have tried downloading the files from Realtek, from Dell and also reinstalling them from the utilities and drivers disk that came with my laptop. In every case I get the same result - Realtek HD Audio is listed in device manager with the cannot start code 10 error.

NEW problem in case anyone is interested - today my skype no longer loads fully. It hangs up half way through and I have to close it with task manager. Also, I can no longer remove realtek from the device manager - it too freezes and has to be closed through task manager.

Not a happy day.

#5 rudi5

rudi5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

Also ACPIES version 5.2 has as an error in event manager - "The embedded controller (EC) hardware didn't respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users