Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Assistance Outlook Express Error Message

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 autzen

autzen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hello:

I am currently using windows XP Home Edition and Outlook Express as my e-mail client.

PROBLEM: I receiving the following annoying error message upon entering Outlook to check my e-mail. Once I "X" out the error message every thing runs fine. Any suggestions on removing the following error message:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'GARYS E-MAIL', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

Note: I have triple checked the POP3 and SMTP settings.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Richard

Edited by garmanma, 10 February 2010 - 04:07 PM.
Removed email address for your protection-MG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

You've checked with your ISP for problems on their end?

You have no other Internet connection problems, none evident in IE?

Take a look, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;813514.

Louis

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

Maybe this will help. First part is info on your error number. What I find odd is

Once I "X" out the error message every thing runs fine.

Usually that error prevents OE from running.

0x800CCC0F

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account. mail.comcast.net, Server: 'server_name', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Your antivirus program is conflicting with your email program which is preventing your email from being downloaded. Try the following steps in order to resolve this issue:

1) Enable outbound authentication for your outgoing email server and enable SSL authentication. If you are using Outlook Express, open the options for your email account and under the Servers tab, put a check in the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Then move to the Advanced tab and place a check in both of the This server requires an encrypted connection options at the top. The outgoing server port should automatically change from 110 to 995 which is the correct setting. But you will need to manually change the outgoing port number from 25 to 465. Once these changes have been made, close the OE options menus and try accessing your email again. If you are using an email program other than Outlook Express, the same options mentioned above should be available in the email settings but if you need assistance, please post a new topic and indicate what email program you use and that you need assistance with enabling authentication and SSL.

2) If step one above does not resolve the issue, you will need to disable email scanning for your antivirus program (emails are still scanned by the Comcast system and your antivirus will still be scanning files on your computer so this will not make you vulnerable to computer viruses). Exact instructions for disabling email scanning in your antivirus will differ depending on your antivirus maker. Typically, you will need to open your antivirus options page and look through these options for Email Scanning and disable the incoming and outgoing scanning options. (Disregard this step for now, I need to check to see if this is still true for later versions of Norton. If you are using Norton Internet Security 2006, follow the instructions in Anon1553127's first post in this thread.) If you need further assistance with this step, please post a new topic in this email forum and state what brand of antivirus program you have and that you are seeking assistance with disabling the email scanning options.

3) If the 0x800ccc0f error continues after following steps 1 and 2 above, try logging into www.comcast.net and check your email this way. While viewing your email, try deleting any un-needed emails (e.g. particularly spam emails). Once your inbox is clean of un-needed emails, try using your email program again.

You can do the steps listed above, and if that doesn't work do what I suggest below. OR you can skip the above and do the following.

At this point I also want to direct you to the Comcast help forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, and CDV, customer service, and billing.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

After you get to the forums, head over to Email Forum.
At the top of Email page, click on email clients / Smartzone - HOW-TO

In the first post, click Q1: How do I setup Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail?

Carefully check your OE settings against what is listed.

Hopefully one of these solutions will clear up your issue. If it does not, post in the email forum, one of our email experts will help you.

Also, the error number you mention is also in the email clients/SmartZone topic I mentioned above. A good resource for the most common ones received.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 February 2010 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users