Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i interrupted sys restore now bootmgr is missing. don't have disk pleaase help me

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 floridaheather

floridaheather

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

in a nut shell, i screwed up!!!! i was doing a factory restore that was interrupted and now i cannot boot. bootmgr missing please please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

can you start the restore over? what computer/laptop are you on? do you have discs?
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 floridaheather

floridaheather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

i cannot boot into the repair computer section. no keys work. i have no disk. i am using another computer to download ultimate windows boot cd. i do not have disks. any help is much appreciated!

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

sorry but it sounds like you are going to need a disc, maybe someone else will be able to think of something... you can dl and make recovery disc from here.. there are instructions and links... good luck http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-dont-have-one/

ps what part of fla ?
Have A Great Day

#5 floridaheather

floridaheather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

I made the recovery CD. Selected repair computer and it did not show an OS on the screen where you can load drivers or hit next. If I go into load drivers I can see my C drive, my X (boot) drive, and my recovery drive. If I go into advanced repair options, I cannot use system restore, b/c it says no drive has been specified. It attempts to repair the computer on its own if I select the first option, but it is not able to. I have tried some dos commands through the command prompt (according to some tutorials on the web) and they say that "this operation has completed successful," but once I reboot I am back to bootmgr missing press ctr+alt+del to continue. I have also tried to goto the install selection rather than repair but after I type in my license code for vista, it gives me some file is missing error and so it will not work. Any suggestions? I would even consider installing a free OS other than windows if someone would help me do it. I really just want to be able to get that laptop back online. It is what I mainly use it for.

#6 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

see if this is what you are thinking of, this one you dont have to install or you can if you like it... it may help you retrieve files from vista!

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/
Have A Great Day

#7 floridaheather

floridaheather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

ok, i am going to have a look at that link you sent me. and i live in keystone heights, fl which is abt an 1/2 hours from the atlantic ocean (st. augustine & flagler being the closest beachs) and gainesville, that's the U of F, is about 30 minutes west of here. thanks.

#8 floridaheather

floridaheather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

what i don't understand is why ubuntu is going to help. i mean, can i back up the operating system so that i can reinstall it? the disk from neosmart starts to load windows files but stalls. sometimes it makes it through. can i use ubuntu to reinstall my os? if so, what do i need to back up? i don't really care about my personal files right now. i just want windows to work again.

#9 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

I would even consider installing a free OS other than windows if someone would help me do it. I really just want to be able to get that laptop back online. It is what I mainly use it for.

I thought you just wanted a free OS... I don't know why the recovery disc or the recovery partition will not work... maybe contact mfgr they may supply an install disc (for a fee) hopefully somebody else reads this and can offer some expertise !!! (hint hint)... best of luck
Have A Great Day

#10 floridaheather

floridaheather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

I still need HELP! The vista boot disk i created from neosmart only works once in a while. and even though when i choose "repair your computer," it does not see a windows installation/operating system, when i press load drivers to look around, my boot x, my primay hdd c, and my recovery drive are still there w/ all their contents. if i go to command prompt and ask it to scan os, it finds NO WINDOWS. So what i am seeing in the explorer window vs what is showing up via command prompt are totally different.

I really need some help from a guru here! Still waiting... :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users