Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access failure: Critical error on disk...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deecaadf

deecaadf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

Here are my computer specs (hopefully this helps):

Asus M2N-Plus SLI Vista Edition Motherboard
(NVIDIA, Socket AM2, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID)

Corsair XMS2 DHX 4096MB Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

OCZ Reaper Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

Creative Labs X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Sound Card

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Processor - 2.80GHz, 2MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB, Windsor, Dual Core, OEM, Socket AM2, Processor

OCZ / GameXStream / 850-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / Active PFC / Power Supply

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX Video Card - 768MB GDDR3, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card

Lite-On LH-2B1S Blu-ray Burner - 2x BD-R Burn&Read, 2x BD-RE, 12x DVD±R Burn&Read, SATA

Running 3 total of Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM

Okay here we go...

So for about three months I was running fine and then I would start getting random freezes. No blue screen appears after, just a freeze up. At this time I also started having errors claiming that the display driver has failed (my screen would go blank then reappear after it recovers from the failure seconds later. The freezes would normally happen when playing video (especially off the internet), running my winamp player for music, or working in Photoshop or InDesign (graphic/visual media programs ; ) ). Then slowly, maybe once a week, I would receive this Access failure: Critical error on disk... and it happened to be the drive that runs only my operating system (I use the other two SATA's as one drive for all media & misc. The point I'm trying to make is that I have nothing loaded on my operating drive except for my operating system) Anyways, This happened for about 2 weeks, the error message popping up every once in a while, then it got to the point where it started happening 4 or 5 times in a 15 minute session (about 2 weeks after the first appearance of this error), at this point it would end with freezes. I would shut my computer down manually. At startup, after a manual shutdown, I would get a freeze immediately when the status bar for loading windows appeared (little green bar that moves left to right before the log in screen appears). I would do a hard shutdown, have to wait about 30 minutes before I turned my computer on again. At this point I would get a notice stating that windows was not shut down properly and options as to how I would like to load windows (I usually choose load windows normally). The green status bar would appear but I noticed that there was an ever increasing lag time between the green status bar screen and my vista login screen. For a few startups (around 5) I would go through this process explained above (freeze in 15 minutes, SATA critical disk error, etc.) Then it finally got to the point where it would take 5 minutes or so to load the green status bar screen but absolutely no login screen would appear. I noticed my hard drive activity is virtually non-existent during this load process. They would run a little every once in a while (towards the end before I couldn't get the login screen windows would load a little at a time with every little bit of sporadic hard drive activity). I would then try to run safe mode but would freeze at a file that looked like the abbreviated word (CHKDSC.sys, etc. - sorry I don;t have the exact file name). I loaded my initial Vista disc and ran it for repairs. It said it had a hardware error but couldn;t give me any information on what it was exactly or how to fix it. Then I ran a memory test. It again told me there was an error but gave me no info. on what it was or how to fix it. I now cannot log into windows whatsoever.

This is driving me completely nuts, I have had nothing but problems with this machine and all I want is for it to work longer than 3 months before all hell breaks loose! I own and operate a media company and this machine is my primary machine for production. I have jobs backing up and I need to use this computer in order to do these jobs. I am in a tight spot here. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is a link I found on the subject:
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t27459.html

A lot of it I don't understand and talks about things to do while logged into windows (which I can't do) but I figured the smarties here could find some use of it to help me out with my dilemma. I appreciate all and any help on this. Thank you (in advance)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

the 1st thing I would try is less ram, use 1 stick to see if there are any bad ones.. if that works or dont work try another stick.. see what happens..
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 deecaadf

deecaadf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

Why do you think it is a RAM issue? And if it is, would it mean something is wrong if I can't use as much RAM that would be available for me to use? Also, in that link I posted they talk about hard drives timing out? do you think that has anything to do with it? Thanks.

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

Then I ran a memory test. It again told me there was an error but gave me no info. on what it was or how to fix it. I now cannot log into windows whatsoever.

Its the easiest thing to check, eliminate the bad ram posability....(strictly a guess), not that you cant use that much ram, but maybe one bad stick... do you have 64bit vista?
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#5 deecaadf

deecaadf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:22 PM

Yes, I am running Vista 64

0 user(s) are reading this topic