Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paranoid70

paranoid70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

HP Computer (circa 2005) running Win XP.

Last night the computer took much longer than usual to turn off. Windows indicated that it was 'updating' files.

Now the computer will not go into Windows, we get the following message: "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully." and then something about "A recent software or hardware change."

I did have a malware bug two weeks ago that was fixed with help from this site.

Thanks

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paranoid70

paranoid70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

So I messed with this for a few hours last night. Basically it goes into a loop as it won't boot into 'normal' windows or safe mode. I can't even do an 'F10' System Restore. I am going to try to reinstall windows. Unfortunately, my HP didn't come with a copy of the Win XP disc. My friend has an unused Vista disc that he doesn't want, so I will use that.

I can't tell if it is a virus or not. It is most likely some software issue. However, I can't get far enough to try to even do anything about it.

If I decide to ditch the computer all together, can I still get the files off the hard drive?

Edited by paranoid70, 11 February 2010 - 11:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users