Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI Install failed with Error 1601

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Elvino

Elvino

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

I would like to install a new HP printer in the computer of my job (XP PRO). It uses the Windows Installer and I got the message "MSI Installer failed with error 1601".
I looked at the Control Painel and in "Services" the installer is set to Automatic. I've made the upgrade to version 4.5 and tryed again with no success.
I've tryed to verify the OS with the SFC Scannow and it did not get to the end due to the Win CD's were keeping asking to change from CD1 to CD2 and back to CD1 and to CD2 and so on...

Anyone knows what can I do to be able to install programs using the MSI Installer?
Any help is welcome. Thank you.
Elvino - Portugal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

AFAIK...the only XP installs that have two CDs...are MCE installs.

The following might be worth trying, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321497.

Worth a look, http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1544539.php

Louis

#3 Elvino

Elvino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Louis. The first link suggested to unregister and register again MSI Installer. I did. I tryed to install again the HP and I got the same error. The second link I think it does not apply to this case.

Yes it is a XP SP3 Media Center Edition. Do you think that the SFC scannow may resolve?
Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

Well...I can't say.

I'm prone to do a repair install, as opposed to running sfc /scannow, when it comes to situations like this. No particular reason, the results should be the same...just a personal quirk. I don't mind tossing all current system files via repair install.

In either case...you have to have an XP CD that contains SP3. That probably means slipstreaming one to include SP3, along with SP1 and SP2.

I was under the impression that there are no CDs for MCE 2002 and that there are two CDs for MCE 2005 which must be used to reinstall MCE 2005.

If I had MCE 2005 and the appropriate CDs, I would try a repair install.

Not using an updated (to SP3) CD when attempting to run either sfc /scannow or do a repair install...is futile and may result in impairing the system by overwriting of key system files with earlier versions.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

#5 Elvino

Elvino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:21 AM

Well I have 4 CDs: XP MCE 2005 Disc1, Disc2, Updates for version 2005 and language pack (portuguese). The SP3 update has been done via Windows Update so I have no CD with this update.

This looks too complicated to repair as I can see. Do you think that if I insert CD1 und the option "R" (repair) it might damage the system? Thanks.

Slipstreaming Windows XP without MCE version maybe not resulting... And I have no idea if exists XP MCE with SP3.
Thanks for your help.

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

Does your company have an IT department? If your employer owns the computer, they usually have provisions for backing up and repairing the systems they own. As a former BOFH, there were special torments reserved for sales droids that tried to fix their own computer and lost company data.

If it is a brand name computer, there are often methods of repair or restore that are built in.

Also note, the default setting for windows installer in services should be manual.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...s.mspx?mfr=true

I recently had a system with a failed dotnetfix install that left the system in a state where the installer started up and left two msiexec processes running and windows installer restated them as soon as I killed them. I had to kill several processes and move installer back to manual. It seems the dotnet install script had set it to automatic rather than just calling it with a script.

Not sure if it is related but a perpetual running installer session will stop the install or uninstall of anything.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 11 February 2010 - 09:03 AM.

#7 Elvino

Elvino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

Thanks. This is a stand alone computer for emails and scanning docs in a very small company with no IT department at all. No company data in it.

I turned to automatic (when at the update for 4.5) for a short while so there were no risc of infection with other software. The problem may have started when I noticed some kind of infection but the anti-virus took care of it... And left this problem on.

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

Many of the problems I fix with a reinstall seem to be the results of commercial antivirus deleting or damaging core windows files after they have been infected. Norton and mccaffe seem especially prone to being unable to clean up after themselves or giving a coherent error message that will indicate what is damaged.

I look for clues since I can take lots of time that I would not be able to do in a commercial environment, but after the usual suspects are examined with no clues, it becomes time to nuke and reload.

HP all in one printer software has also reached the full scale bloatware stage and trips over dozens of resident programs sometimes leaving a failed install that simply cannot be removed even with their own tools.

#9 Elvino

Elvino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED!
I saw in another forum a sugestion of in Control Painel deactivating the "Service" Windows Installer, then doing an upgrade to version 4.5 and then turning this "Service" to "Manual" again.

I did and... voila! I installed Windows Live SkyDrive for testing and it has been well succeeded.

Thanks again to all of you for the help and sugestions
Elvino

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users