Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop3 webmail problem.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eogmp3

eogmp3

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:38 AM

Hi,
I Didn't know where to put this post - maybe you lot can help me out:

I used to use the web based email account of my Internet Service Provider (webmail.iol.ie) that uses a POP3 server. The account was overrun with Spam so I got a new one at work. I want to download my old messages to my computer but, unlike with a web based email account that uses HTTP server such as Hotmail, Outlook express only gets the messages that I haven't yet viewed in the web based application. This is also true of other web based email applications like www.web2mail.com - it can access my account but only get the new messages.

This is obviously to do with the server types - ie teh messages are taken off the server with POP3 and not with HTTP, but is there a way around it? I know I could simply forward the messages to myself and then download them but this way all the information about when they were initially received is lost - i am dealing with over 3 years of messages and I need to be able to sort them by date.

Is there anyway to retrieve this information? My ISP is not at all helpful - they just tell me that it is my tough luck. Please help me if you know how to get around this problem, or at least put me out of my misery and confirm that I have no hope!

Thanks for your time,
-eogmp3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:26 PM

OE was probably configured to delete messages on the server after you downloaded them. The server MAY have all those messages archived; if you can provide a (hopefully recent) date when they were all on it, they may be able to do a restore to your in box. You cannot forward the messages to your new mailbox if they do not exist on the server under your old Email account.
Unless you saved all the messages in OE instead of deleting them, or backed them up on disk, the chances of retrieving them are slim to non-existent.

Sorry,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users