Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Protector!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bonneville54

bonneville54

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

Small office computer running XP. In fact, this is the second infection in this office and the first instance was removed rather easily.

But now, unable to run rkill, unable to run Malware and tried installing from flash drive...... no luck

Interestingly enough, when trying to follow the "HijackThis" instructions, I cannot log in to Bleeping Computer from the infected machine.

Idea's?

Many thanks in advance...

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

If you are trying to run rkill.com it could be blocked by pc protector. You may want to try this version. rkill.pif. Do the same as stated in the removal instructions for Pc Protector posted here.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 bonneville54

bonneville54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

If you are trying to run rkill.com it could be blocked by pc protector. You may want to try this version. rkill.pif. Do the same as stated in the removal instructions for Pc Protector posted here.

Hope this helps,

Thanks.....but no cigar. Same result as rkill.com. A rather amazing infection. It's also fascinating that I cannot log on to this site from the infected computer.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:39 AM

Lets try renaming rkill.pif to die.pif.

Let me know what happens.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 bonneville54

bonneville54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

Lets try renaming rkill.pif to die.pif.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks for your help....but, that did not work either.

#6 bonneville54

bonneville54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

For those having trouble running mbam.exe, download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free

I have spent the last 2 days trying to fix this problem and this is the only thing that worked in removing the virus that was blocking mbam.exe from running. Once it removed the virus, I was able to reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. By the way, it also removed a number of trojans, ad-ware, other malware, etc. from my computer.

This worked....install, update and voila! PC Protector gone.

Thanks all for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users