Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Arma

Arma

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

I have had this problem for years (4 years to be exact). So how do I fix that:

Posted Image

Basically it says:

"State of the connection

Limited or no connectivity

You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources.
This problem happens because the network did not attribute an address to the computer."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

Can you still access internet?
It appears that your ISP is not running a DHCP server. DHCP allows you to request an IP address and DNS server addresses automatically. So, you may have to manually set the IP address and DNS server addresses.

#3 Arma

Arma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

Can you still access internet?

Of course, like I said I have done so four years.

Though it is "Limited" as they say "Limited or no connectivity", I have connectivity but it is limited so the download speed is not what I am supposed to get, I can only download as much as 130-135Kb/s.

It appears that your ISP is not running a DHCP server. DHCP allows you to request an IP address and DNS server addresses automatically. So, you may have to manually set the IP address and DNS server addresses.

Hum... Okay? So what does this mean for me? Can I fix my problem or not?

Edited by Arma, 10 February 2010 - 01:58 PM.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

If you can connect to the internet, the error message is being shown incorrectly. You can disable the error message to appear this way :

- Click Start Menu > Run
- type ncpa.cpl, and then press Enter
- This would open Network Connections dialog box opens
- Double-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties
- On the General tab, un-check Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity checkbox
- Click OK to save

Edited by Romeo29, 10 February 2010 - 06:48 PM.

#5 Arma

Arma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

If you can connect to the internet, the error message is being shown incorrectly. You can disable the error message to appear this way :

- Click Start Menu > Run
- type ncpa.cpl, and then press Enter
- This would open Network Connections dialog box opens
- Double-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties
- On the General tab, un-check Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity checkbox
- Click OK to save

That's not a way to fix my problem, it's just a way to ignore it... Because I ran a speed test for my connection on speedtest.net and I should have around 800Kb/s in download speed, not 130-135Kb/s. So I am on a limited connectivity, so who do I fix this limitation? How can I have the network attribute an address to my computer?

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

If you connect to internet, then LAN is working okay. Because without an IP address how can you connect to any network. The message is shown incorrectly.
Here is Microsoft's article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892896
The first suggestion is to disable notification. I think I read the information from there years ago.
If you are getting slow download speed, contact your ISP.

#7 Arma

Arma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

If you connect to internet, then LAN is working okay. Because without an IP address how can you connect to any network. The message is shown incorrectly.
Here is Microsoft's article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892896
The first suggestion is to disable notification. I think I read the information from there years ago.
If you are getting slow download speed, contact your ISP.

Okay thanks, my ISP subscription is comming to an end in a couple months so I will be cancelling recurring membership. I presently have DSL connection, do you think I should switch to Cable internet instead of DSL internet? Because I heard that Cable internet was more realiable than DSL internet in terms of download speed performance, this is especially if your phone line isn't so great.

Edited by Arma, 11 February 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

You heard correct. If phone lines are faulty or the DSL server (the computer you connect to for internet) is far away from your place, then DSL performs bad.
On the other hand of lots of people use Cable in your neighborhood, you may experience speed slow down.

Here is a comparison between DSL and Cable by CNet : http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6536_7-726601-1.html
Another comparison : http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dslvsca...ablecompare.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users