Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony patent takes first step towards real-life Matrix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

Sony patent takes first step towards real-life Matrix

07 April 2005
Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition
Jenny Hogan
Barry Fox

[quote name='http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18624944.600&feedId=online-news_rss20']IMAGINE movies and computer games in which you get to smell, taste and perhaps even feel things. That's the tantalising prospect raised by a patent on a device for transmitting sensory data directly into the human brain - granted to none other than the entertainment giant Sony.

The technique suggested in the patent is entirely non-invasive. It describes a device that fires pulses of ultrasound at the head to modify firing patterns in targeted parts of the brain, creating "sensory experiences" ranging from moving images to tastes and sounds. This could give blind or deaf people the chance to see or hear, the patent claims.[/quote]
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=...line-news_rss20

This is pretty creepy.... but cool.

But I don't know if I would want billboards advertising in my head.

Edited by yanowhiz, 01 September 2005 - 04:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Happy_Reaper

Happy_Reaper

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:42 PM

Awesome find there. I actually never thought I'd live to see stuff like that. I doubt, though, that, the directly-input billboards would make life all that much different. These days, it seems, you have to share a cave with a grizzly bear in order to be truly free of advertisement...

What could be potentially devastating, however, are ads with sensory capabilities. Imagine cigarette ads that simulate you smoking a cigarette, or Mickey D ads that make you taste big macs. Sort of makes you wonder if nicotine addictions could arise in your body without ever having smoked real cigarettes...
Teacher: "You connect with Internet Explorer, but what is your browser? You know, Yahoo, Webcrawler...?" <-- It's great to see the educational system moving in the right direction...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users