Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows live id logs in when opening a folder

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

Whenever i open a user folder in C:\Documents and settings i get prompted something that i could not be connected to windows live, something about my windows live id request could not be completed. I have an idea why, i have blocked msn with my firewall since it requested me to log in whenever i did the above. Is there some way to prevent the computer from trying to sign in to live every time i access that folder? its an annoyance, since it prompts the error three times, but not exactly a problem since it doesnt affect general functionality.

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. Hopefully the OS is XP. ~ Animal
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

I would try reinstalling Windows Live.

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/b...#33;15345.entry
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

NO! I want to GET RID of it! Or does it maybe help?
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

What use is Windows Live?

http://www.microsoft.com/malaysia/windows/...w-it-works.aspx

How to remove (and reinstall) Windows Live Services, (the official line):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938275

or use Budapest's link, for removal.

It's up to you really, you're in charge of your computer.

Why not try Google, sometime. There is so much information available
about removing these Windows programs, or individual components.

#5 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

Removing windows live messenger did not work.

Attached File  fel.JPG   16.88KB   16 downloads
Translated:
Windows live ID Internet connection error
Your request could not be completed because the Windows Live ID-Service could not be found or did not reply. This could be caused by technical issues with the server or you might have to adjust your network settings.
Try again. Cancel.

It always prompts this three times in a row each time i open C:\Documents and settings\HP_ägaren (Translate:HP_owner).

Edit:I removed the windows components MSN Explorer and windows messenger, annoyance still persists.

Edited by Surma, 11 February 2010 - 03:18 PM.

---My computer---

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

Removing windows live messenger did not work.

What procedure did you use to do this?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

Add/remove programs. I also used Add/remove windows components to remove Windows messenger and MSN Explorer (which removed IExplorer for some reason, no problem to reinstall that so dont worry bout it). Like i said, the problem persists.
I believe that what happens is that when i open folder it tries to update the contents of a folder called contacts, which seems to contain information about some hotmail contacts. It wants to sync it with live server, but fails. Probably something about MS wanting Windows Live ID to function along with some other feature i do not use, maybe if msn has some mail program or something.
I have thought about it, and maybe an idea would be to delete the folder? note that i do not use MSN, hotmail or so, so theres no reason at all to keep it.
---My computer---

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

Yes I think it would be a good idea to try and delete that folder. Leave it in the Recycle Bin in case you need it.

Also, I think you should run through the steps given here (except for Step #6):

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/b...#33;15345.entry

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users