Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't restart

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 corawhitsitt

corawhitsitt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

While browsing the web, a window popped up on my computer, saying Windows had finished installing updates and to restart your computer. It gave the option to restart now or later before it automatically restarted itself. I chose to restart now. Now, the it keeps giving me the option to Start Windows Normally or run in Safe Mode, no matter which one I choose. It'll just loop back to that same page. And when you choose any form of Safe Mode, it'll have a whole list of program files appear on screen, but won't do anything. A swift response would be great appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

Can't be 100% sure what the problem is, but if you have a Windows XP CD handy, i may be able to help.
Put the CD in your computer, then restart it. Then go into BIOS options. BIOS can usually be accessed by pressing F8, but this varies by brand. if your not sure, then watch the screen as the computer boots. it will usually tell you what key to press. Once you get into BIOS, change your boot order so that the computer tries to boot from the CD-ROM first. Then save your settings and exit. your computer will restart. at this point you should get prompt asking you to press any key to boot from CD. Do so. Once setup loads, press the Enter key to setup windows, it will check for any previous installations. Now it SHOULD find your installation, but if not, then your out of luck. but if it does, press R to repair it. don't get worried, it will delete a few files at first, but this is a NON-DESTRUCTIVE way of reapiring Windows. Your account will remain untouched, all of your files will still be there. the only thing you will have to do in re-install your updates. If you don't have a XP CD, one can be downloaded off the internet. but this IS ILLEGAL and therefore, i cannot give you any links. best of luck!

Edited by jnk1296, 10 February 2010 - 10:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users