Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden files won't unhide and regedit won't run

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 satcomjimmy

satcomjimmy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

I have had this happen one other time on this work PC. I am in IT so I don't like to call the help desk on menial things but this throws some red flags for me. There is something in my temp folder trying to run (seems to have been blocked by the enterprise mcafee) but I change my folder views to allow me to see hidden files to try to get to it to delete and it doesn't actually change. I click accept, close the dialog box, the hidden files are not visible, and it is back to "do not show hidden files and folders" when I open it back up. It is also blocking me from getting to regedit. Does this fit any known virus profile that anyone is aware of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

Blocking access to key system functions (such as regedit) is a typical malware routine, IMO.

I suggest a couple of scans...one with Malwarebytes and the other with SUPERAntiSpyware.

Louis

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

It sounds like this machine is in a corporate setting with an IT staff. I would be very careful as to what you do unless first verified by the ADMIN of your network.

With that said, I would also suggest as hamluis did to scan with MalwareBytes.

You will want to contact your IT staff before running this as you will most likely be disabling your Antivirus which may be against your corporate policies.

Please check with them first. The directions for Malwarebytes are as follows:

Scan for Spyware/Adware

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware a.k.a. MBAM - Download Free Version - Homepage
Why? Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is very good at removing the zlob trojan, virtumonde, and most other current infections. This single tool has replaced multiple tools that have been required in the past.
  • 1. Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. At the end, confirm a check mark is placed next to the following:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • 2. At the end, confirm a check mark is placed next to the following:
  • 3. Then click Finish.
  • 4. If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • 5. Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • 6. When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • 7. Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • 8. When completed, a log will open in Notepad. The rogue application should now be gone.
Note: Some infections will prevent MBAM from running. If MBAM won't run, try renaming the file mbam-setup.exe to a random name, and then try again.

Note:
Reinstall MBAM if you installed and ran a scan in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.
Post that log for review. When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users