Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:38 AM
Hi there. New to this site since I am generally able to figure things out ... but I am ultra stumped this time!
I am troubleshooting a PC for a friend and it has been giving me nothing but headaches. To give you a brief synopsis:
Desktop running XP Pro SP3.
- PC left on regularly, friend comes home to find the PC screen black ... restart discovers that windows will not boot - error that system32/config/system either corrupt/missing.
Fine, figured this is a registry issue. Maybe an XP update didnt go well. Safe mode returns the same error.
- Want to run XP recovery console to replace corrupt/missing files with repair folder files. Once windows is able to boot, id then use system volume info folder to find a recent restore point , rename to software, system, security, SAM and default and run the recovery console again to replace of the system32/config files to restore all my friend's settings.
- My friend does not have his XP CD in order to run the recovery console so i tried using mine -- assuming this is a non-issue
- I cannot for the life of me get his machine to boot from the CD/DVD ROM. BIOS is set correctly to boot from the ROM first. I have replaced the CD/DVD ROM with one from my machine that i know works fine - no help. I have replaced the IDE data cable - no help. I have tried random boot disks (different media brands like memorex, fuji) - no help. The ROM is recognized by the BIOS. But nothing I can do can get this bloody machine to start from CD.
- I tried running repair console on the hard drive (removed from his machine, put in mine) and the drive runs fine ... I was able to swap the files ... put back in his machine and still get that system32/config/system corrupt or missing.
I want to run the actual windows XP repair option ... but that would need my friend's machine to boot from CD cuz if I use my machine with his drive installed, it will screw up the HAL from what i understand and it wont boot in my friend's machine when i return the drive to it.
Im thinking a mobo issue but the machine loads, everything seems fine. I have removed all peripherals except hard drive and cd rom....everything else is on board + CPU + RAM.
Any suggestions on how to get the CD to boot or how to get XP installed repaired on my machine and put back to his would be GREATLY appreciated!