Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Rom will not boot - same for XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jay_man

jay_man

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hi there. New to this site since I am generally able to figure things out ... but I am ultra stumped this time!

I am troubleshooting a PC for a friend and it has been giving me nothing but headaches. To give you a brief synopsis:

Desktop running XP Pro SP3.

- PC left on regularly, friend comes home to find the PC screen black ... restart discovers that windows will not boot - error that system32/config/system either corrupt/missing.
Fine, figured this is a registry issue. Maybe an XP update didnt go well. Safe mode returns the same error.

- Want to run XP recovery console to replace corrupt/missing files with repair folder files. Once windows is able to boot, id then use system volume info folder to find a recent restore point , rename to software, system, security, SAM and default and run the recovery console again to replace of the system32/config files to restore all my friend's settings.

- My friend does not have his XP CD in order to run the recovery console so i tried using mine -- assuming this is a non-issue

- I cannot for the life of me get his machine to boot from the CD/DVD ROM. BIOS is set correctly to boot from the ROM first. I have replaced the CD/DVD ROM with one from my machine that i know works fine - no help. I have replaced the IDE data cable - no help. I have tried random boot disks (different media brands like memorex, fuji) - no help. The ROM is recognized by the BIOS. But nothing I can do can get this bloody machine to start from CD.

- I tried running repair console on the hard drive (removed from his machine, put in mine) and the drive runs fine ... I was able to swap the files ... put back in his machine and still get that system32/config/system corrupt or missing.

I want to run the actual windows XP repair option ... but that would need my friend's machine to boot from CD cuz if I use my machine with his drive installed, it will screw up the HAL from what i understand and it wont boot in my friend's machine when i return the drive to it.

Im thinking a mobo issue but the machine loads, everything seems fine. I have removed all peripherals except hard drive and cd rom....everything else is on board + CPU + RAM.

Any suggestions on how to get the CD to boot or how to get XP installed repaired on my machine and put back to his would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jay_man

jay_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

I guess no one was able to help on this. Stumped like me most likely. For everyone's information - it turned out to be faulty RAM. I did try swapping the RAM out last night but for some reason, the machine still failed ... today, it worked like a charm.

Maybe the lack of response is cuz im a noob here but I look forward to helping others on here and hope that my post will warrant a response in the future.

Many thx to those who took the time to review it!

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

:thumbsup: new member!

Hang in there my friend, not that your post was over looked by the members of this forum, sometimes we're busy helping others and it takes a little bit of time to get around the message board.

Again Welcome aboard BC.com!

By the way congrads on solving your problem, we look forward to working with you in helping others with their problems!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 February 2010 - 10:27 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 jay_man

jay_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

its all good my friend! Pleasure to meet ya! I just responded to a CD-RW post with some help. I have a fair amount of experience (10 yrs as a hobby) and i have a degree in CS so it would be a pleasure to help on here as well. All the best!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

...and sometimes...no one reading has a clue where to begin.

If you look back on all that you posted...I don't think there's anything there that would have led anyone to faulty memory.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy it for what it is :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users