Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 csj18947

csj18947

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:34 AM

When I turned on my computer this morning, I got the blue screen of death with the following message:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0x80098004, 0x00000001, 0x80515103, 0x00000000)

When I powered down last night, my computer did some automatic updates before shutting off.

I tried booting up in various safe modes but it always goes to the same BSoD so I can do nothing. I've read microsoft's explanation of the problem but can't get to the point where I can do anything.

Its Windows 2000 XP SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 priapist

priapist

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

This exact same STOP occurred this morning on a friend's machine (Dell 2400, XP sp3). She indicated that an automatic update had requested a restart, and the failure happened at startup.

#3 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

sound like ms has done a screw-up...
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#4 plasquatch

plasquatch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

I am getting the exact same message. Every last digit CSJ listed is the same.

Here is information specific to my case:

--Computer is eight years old.
--Running XP, I assume it's SP3.
--Windows will not allow me to enter normally, in any safe mode, or with the last known working config.
--When I try running Safe Mode, it produces a list of processes. The last one listed before the screen goes blue is iomdisk.sys (which I assume is for my old Iomega Zip drive, which I hardly use anymore).
--Windows installed a whopping 12 updates. They were mostly security updates. The only one I remember which was different was the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.
--I am pretty sure that I have malware of some sort. My plan was to let Windows install the updates, then run various scans upon restarting.
--I was able to run the Recovery Console from the XP install CD. I am currently running chkdsk /r.

I am hoping for a solution which does not require me to spend money or open my computer, but I understand if that is not possible.

Edited by plasquatch, 10 February 2010 - 08:40 AM.

#5 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957625.aspx
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#6 plasquatch

plasquatch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:18 AM

Thank you for the helpful link. However, of the solutions listed, 1/3 of them I have tried to no avail, 1/3 cannot be done without getting into the Windows UI (which the BSOD prevents me from doing), and 1/3 are hardware related (which, as I had mentioned, I am hoping is only a last resort).

#7 jackson

jackson

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

Exact same thing happened to me. A windows udate installed and now I am dead in the water with the same blue screen. Help!!

#8 plasquatch

plasquatch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

Update: chkdsk didn't work. I know the MS Technet article said /f /r, but for some reason this version of chkdsk does not allow /f.

To the other people responding to this topic: you're not all having trouble with iomdisk.sys, are you?

Edited by plasquatch, 10 February 2010 - 09:51 AM.

#9 dahdj9696

dahdj9696

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:00 AM

Same screen greeted me when i walked into my office this morning.

Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area STOP: 0X80098004, 0x00000001, 0x80515103, 0x00000000

i don't think an FDISK /F would do anything to fix this.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

See 50 errors in left column at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

FWIW: IIRC, many of these 50 errors relate to malware...but I can't swear to that.

I would try the chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console, assuming that the system was adequately protected from malware before the STOP error.

Louis

#11 jackson

jackson

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

I can't get anywhere to do anything. No matter which option I chose from the F8 menu the blue stop error screen keeps coming up.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#13 sweetaloma

sweetaloma

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

New to the forum but have read many topics in the past that helped saved my butt!

This is my latest dilemma:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need."

I have tried to restart the computer several times, in safe mode, regular and then some...it won't let me log in. I have not added anything new to the system but I did just scrub some trojans out recently.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

Just a suggestion to all who have decided to tag on to the original post...please start your own threads, rather than hijacking this one.

Even though the issues may seem to be the same to you...often times such appearance is misleading.

Thank you.

Louis

#15 dahdj9696

dahdj9696

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

here is what i did.

boot from CD

choose new install not the recovery option

after it does the scan of your drive for the new install it will detect a current install and you can choose R to repair it. or choose to wipe it and start a new install. after about an hour of reinstalling/ repairing i got back into my pc and all my files and all the user profiles where still active. Oh and i got my notice in the lower right saying a windows update was completed that made me laugh as it is what caused the problem..

it looks like its doing a new install but it is removing files and repair files.

worked for me, just took a long time and i kept thinking that it was going to be deleting all my c drive data.

hope this helps...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users