Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing a game with a bin file extension

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 reinmar

reinmar

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:13 AM

how do you install the game with a bin file extension?
i borrowed a copy of the game from my friend which has 3 disk and each contain 3 bin files,
there's no any other files in the disk just the 3 bin files
how do you install it?

Edited by garmanma, 10 February 2010 - 02:12 PM.

ECE MANIACS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:09 AM

winrar?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

You might want to check and see if that game was made to run on a Mac
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 reinmar

reinmar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

i'm using windows XP.

ECE MANIACS

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

The .bin file extension is generally accepted to refer to a binary data file. It's not strictly associated with any program and many programs use the .bin extension for their own purposes.

However, if there is also another file with the same name but with a .cue extension, then those two files represent a disk image. You will need a special program that can mount/burn CD images to access the data within.

#6 reinmar

reinmar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

^ it doesnt have any .cue extension just the bin and yeah i have a software that can mount and burn cd images

it has 3disk each contains 3 bin files.

Edited by reinmar, 10 February 2010 - 07:15 PM.

ECE MANIACS

#7 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

From Filext.com: "Detailed information for file extension BIN:
Primary association: Binary File
Mime type: application/octet-stream, application/bin, application/binary, application/x-msdownload
Other applications associated with file type BIN:
AVG (Update File) by AVG Technologies
The file names typically relate to the update number. For example Update Number. 7.0.211 is in the file U7F211.BIN; Update Number. 7.0.2 is in the file U7lX2.BIN; and so on. The file is usually deleted by the updater but might be left behind. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 4D 5A 20 41 56 47 , ASCII: MZ AVGProgram ID: AVG.Update

CDRWin (CD Image File)
Often, this is an .ISO file. IsoBuster can interpret these files directly. Also Bin2Iso can be used to convert to the ISO format which can be burned to a disc. Related links: IsoBuster Data Recovery Tool, Bin2Iso

Linux Executable
Although not required, some Linux programs use the .BIN extension. The Mime types used with this association are: application/octet-stream.
MacBinary Archive Format (Often used on Macintosh.)
This association is classified as Archive. The Mime types used with this association are: application/macbinary, application/x-macbinary, application/x-stuffit.
Micrografx Designer 7 Project Image

MTK Chipset (GPS Tracklog)
Manage iBlue, Qstarz BT-Q1000 and iTrek Z1 GPS data loggers on Windows, Palm, WinCE, Linux and Mac (opensource). The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex [position 5]: 00 04 01

Perceptron Scanner File
Related links: RapidForm Free Viewer"

If this is a legit game (sorry, if I'm worng, but I doubt it's legit) try and mount it with DAEMON Tools Lite (free) (you may need to change the file type from "All Supported images" to "All Files"

Otherwise, I know .bin's best as a linux executable, which will not run on a windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users