Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with XP Antispyware 2010

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lyricalballad

lyricalballad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

I have microsoft windows xp media center edition 2005.

Just got infected with that nasty XP Antispyware 2010 last night. I tried to get rid of it with mbam, did the quick scan, got results, tried to remove them, but then when my computer restarted the XP Antispyware 2010 popped up. It wouldn't let my screen/desktop load all the way. So I turned off my comp and turned it back on hoping to be able to run mbam again in safe mode.
I was able to run it. It had an adware.trace detected so I removed it by mbam's suggestion.

I turned on my computer today hoping XP Antispyware 2010 was gone, but it is still on my computer. Tried to run mbam, but when I try to update it to the latest version mbam won't run.

Help!

Edit
As of now was able to update to latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Running quick scan now.

Edited by lyricalballad, 10 February 2010 - 07:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

Get the following free programs and use them:

SUPERAntiSpyware from:
http://www.superantispyware.com

boopme (a moderator on this site, who has been helping me with an issue I'm having) recommends ATF Cleaner.
It's free.) These are the instructions posted by boopme for use of ATF Cleaner:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.

* Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
* Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
* Click the Empty Selected button.
* If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
* If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
* Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

CCleaner is an alternative to ATF Cleaner, and I use CCleaner regularly.
Take the tour, see what the program does, look at the screen shots. It not only cleans your computer, it also has a Registry tool that will check for/fix registry errors, and it also has an "uninstall programs" tool and a "startup" tool.
The website for CCleaner is: http://www.ccleaner.com/

If SUPERAnti-Spyware and Malwarebytes' Antimalware find/fix infected files, you may want to delete your restore points. To delete all restore points, go to Control Panel, System, System Restore tab, put a checkmark in "Turn Off System Restore" and hit Apply. (Reason is to get rid of any infected restore points.)

After a scan that finds/fixes infected files, I always run a full scan again, just to make sure it comes up "clean" (no infections).

(After you get all of this fixed, you will probably want to turn System Restore back on. To turn System Restore back on, go to Control Panel, System, System Restore tab, click to take the checkmark out of "Turn Off System Restore" and hit Apply. Then hit OK to close. )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Your post did not specify what, if any, antivirus program you are using.

You might want to try AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition.

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fr...4-10320142.html

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users