Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistant Browser Hijacker Causing Google Search Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

I have a Toshiba Equium A300D PSAK2E laptop running Vista Home Premium SP2. I recently downloaded a program which must have had a browser hijacker incorporated. I did scan the executable file before installing with Avast! Home Edition 5 but nothing was detected.

After installing the program I found that every time I perform a search on Google and follow a link from the search results, I am navigated to a different web page; either an advertisment or a malicious website.

I have done a full sytem scan with Avast! and Ad-Aware which did not find anything. I have tried HijackThis using the HijackThis Log File Auto Analysis page (www.hijackthis.de) but found nothing. I have also checked my start up applications with autoruns and checked the running processes in task manager but cannot find anything.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, which is my default browser, but to no avail. (The hijacker affects Internet Explorer as well.)

Does anyone have any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julian Ooi

Julian Ooi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

After my first post I downloaded MBAM and ran a full system scan. It found a few infections which I removed.

Now firefox seems to be working ok.

Cheers anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users