Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Soft malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tnowak

tnowak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:33 AM

Greetings,

My home PC has become infected with the Antivirus Soft malware. I followed the instruction regarding removal but it hasn't worked. This is what I did:

1. I isolated the infected PC from the internet and used a second PC to download rkill.com and the Malwarebytes application (2 days ago).
2. I copied over the two programs and rebooted XP into safe mode.
3. I logged on using my usual login credential and ran rkill.com. Seemed to terminate quickly (after approx. 2 seconds) with this status "Process terminated by rkill or while it was running".
4. I installed and ran malwarebytes and followed the instructions. It found 8 infected files which were deleted.
5. I changed the Internet Explorer proxy settings as per the instructions
6. I rebooted as normal but the infection came back after approx. 30 seconds.

I then decided to repeat the above steps, but by logging in as "administrator". This was a second login option presented to me in Safe Mode (don't usually use this).

1. Same results with rkill.com (terminate quickly after approx. 2 seconds with this status "Process terminated by rkill or while it was running".)
2. Malwarebytes scan took much longer and found one other infected file, which was removed.
3. Rebooted as normal, but infection came back.

What next?

Regards

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tnowak

tnowak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:49 AM

Greetings,

Still waiting for some general advice. Should rkill only take 1 or 2 seconds to run?
Regards

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users