Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:33 AM
My home PC has become infected with the Antivirus Soft malware. I followed the instruction regarding removal but it hasn't worked. This is what I did:
1. I isolated the infected PC from the internet and used a second PC to download rkill.com and the Malwarebytes application (2 days ago).
2. I copied over the two programs and rebooted XP into safe mode.
3. I logged on using my usual login credential and ran rkill.com. Seemed to terminate quickly (after approx. 2 seconds) with this status "Process terminated by rkill or while it was running".
4. I installed and ran malwarebytes and followed the instructions. It found 8 infected files which were deleted.
5. I changed the Internet Explorer proxy settings as per the instructions
6. I rebooted as normal but the infection came back after approx. 30 seconds.
I then decided to repeat the above steps, but by logging in as "administrator". This was a second login option presented to me in Safe Mode (don't usually use this).
1. Same results with rkill.com (terminate quickly after approx. 2 seconds with this status "Process terminated by rkill or while it was running".)
2. Malwarebytes scan took much longer and found one other infected file, which was removed.
3. Rebooted as normal, but infection came back.