Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE & FF Crash Immediately; USB Ports non-functioning

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Impious_One

Impious_One

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:54 AM

My PC was infected with a virus to the point where it would reboot as soon as windows started. My brother-in-law repaired the windows installation which brought the computer back up to operating condition. He also attempted to rid the PC of the virus, but it's still having problems. IE & Firefox both crash immediately upon opening them. Firefox will not open in Firefox safe mode. Also, the computer does not recognize anything being connected to the USB ports (keyboard, mouse, SD card w/ USB adapter, etc). Along with this, from what I can tell, I only have the "Windows Classic" display option. These are the first three immediately known issues; there may be something I have yet to discover so if you have any questions please let me know.

A brief synopsis;

PC is running Windows XP Pro w/ SP2. I have HiJack This and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on the PC. It also had AVG on it, but since receiving the PC back from my brother in law AVG now tells me the license is not valid.

I ran HJT, it found kbdsock.dll. I used the HJT "Fix It" function to remove the file, it no longer appears on the HJT log. Beyond that, something noteworthy is that HJT also gives an O10 code for a file nll.dll. This O10 code for file nll.dll is literally listed in each HJT log 17 times. If I rename nll.dll to nll.dll.old both IE & FF will open, however neither will connect to the internet. Ran a AM scan but it did not find any infected files. My brother-in-law also ran his own anti-virus program, which after 4 scans also finally came up clean before returning the PC to me. Firefox's crash report shows the nll.dll file as not having a "version" when viewing the module tab of the crash report; from reading some info on Firefox's website it appears this may indicate a problem with that file aswell ?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind I have no internet access from that PC so I can not download programs or files directly to it. If it comes to that, the only thing I can think to do is burn it to a disc on my laptop and try to load it on the PC from the disc.

Edited by Impious_One, 10 February 2010 - 01:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users